School me on home automation

What's Hot
So I've ordered a couple of echo dots.
One for the kitchen to play Spotify music and one for the living room for general queries.
Now I have a media centre in the living room.
E
Av amp, Apple t.v. 4, TV.
So I will need something like a Logitech harmony to switch on the AV amp and TV and apple tv. That much I get. (Using IR)
So am I right that I will also need an additional hub in another room (line of sight) to control smart lights, etc 
It would be cool if things like light switches (rather then bulbs) could be be controlled over WiFi without the need for IR, so I could say.
"Alex's switch on lights in bedroom" given all the lights I have do not take smart bulbs.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Are you American?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Solutions for problems that don't exist. Sorry to be negative, I know people that are into this stuff and find it fun but I just don't understand it.

It's just telling every guest that walks into your home "hey everybody! I'm a massive nerd!".

And that's from a massive nerd that builds test automation at work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    This is so over my head. Sounds interesting but I'm too old school to engage.

If I was a millionaire I think I would chuck a ton of money at someone and say make all this happen, but don't think I can be bothered myself.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I find trying to simplify your life can often add huge and expensive complications to it.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    As Amazon are now constantly listening to every conversation you have, I suspect they’ll offer a service where one of their delivery people come and turn the light/tv/hifi on/off for you on their way past. This will be much cheaper and easy to configure than adding automation to everything!! So I’d wait until that happens.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom