SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted - 5 String bass

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
edited December 2017 in Basses £
Hello all,

As per title, whats about?
Not fussed about brand etc, just looking for something that plays well for recording purposes.
The only thing I can rule out is the Vintage Stingray copy, I had one of those and thought it was poor.

Cheers

All sorted now, got a musicman
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Dunno what your budget is, but there's quite a few on Basschat in the classifieds - like this Ibanez for £275 - which would do the job nicely

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/316362-ibanez-srx595-5-string/

• @Bridgehouse that does look great.
    I was thinking about getting a Sterling Ray 5 but I'm in no rush
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @Bridgehouse that does look great.
    I was thinking about getting a Sterling Ray 5 but I'm in no rush
    They pop up on Basschat pretty regularly too..
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    edited December 2017
    this Ibanez for £275 - which would do the job nicely
    Those play nicely but the stock pickups lack character. 

If you are going to modify an SRX, it can be awkward to find replacement pickups that fit the existing routed cavities without leaving a gap around the edges.

Sterling Ray 5
    Sterling-By-Musicman guitars and basses tend to be fine UNLESS you play one immediately after playing its American-made equivalent. They also tend to be weightier than strictly necessary. (I have a RAY 34CA. Somebody in the town where I live has an AX40 guitar.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I think I am going to pull the trigger on a Sterling Ray 5 @Funkfingers ;
    I adored a musicman Ray I played a few years ago and want me a piece of that pie... Although it will be a cheaper version of said pie
    edited December 2017
    You posted while I was editing my previous post. 

Check the S-By-MM specifications carefully. My RAY 34CA has a narrower (i.e. Jazz Bass) string spacing at the nut than the American instrument. Indonesian five string variants may be similarly skinnier than American ones.

Speaking only for myself, for BEADG tuning, I would be wary of any five string bass guitar with a scale length that is not at least 35". 
  • It's just for recording @Funkfingers ;
    If I was playing bass properly I think I would get a dingwall or a USA mm ray
  • MototechMototech Frets: 102
    edited December 2017
    I have a brand new Cort Action VA 5 for sale, £135 delivered, they were £350 odd when they were available.
  • jaysgrocker2000jaysgrocker2000 Frets: 115
    edited December 2017
    Status 5-string?

see for pics and details my blog

https://elitevintageguitars.com/2017/12/16/status-5-string-bass/

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Status 5-string 
    That looks good enough to eat.