Rock School Gradings

What's Hot
GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19

I have been playing guitar since June last year and am now ploughing my way through the Grade 1 book thinking that it will help me to keep my practice sessions focused, structured and constructive. Is there anyone else who is a doing this, also I am in the Burton/Derby area of the midlands if anyone local who wants to have jamming sessions etc.

I work hard with plenty of enthusiasm so even though my level of playing is not great yet I have high goals and aspirations to learn quick.

Thanks for reading!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 411
    I think it is always good to have something to help you structure your practice - and Rock School is as good as any. 

Nothing like the prospect of a live gig to really focus the mind, though. 

Good luck
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Hint, don't rush through thinking "I've finished Chapter1 tonight, will do Chapter 2 tomorrow" and not go back and revise chapter 1.

Make sure each section is learned fully before you move onto the next.

Hint 2, get a book of exercises (doesn't really matter which one) and randomly pick an exercise, and do that exercise for 5 mins (no more). Why? so you're not relying on muscle/finger memory to play the piece.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19

Thanks for this, yeah I try and practice everyday and normally play a few tracks with CD's, then some exercises and scales, then will pick up the Rock School book and either play a piece I know or start to learn a new one. My ideal is that once I can play all the desired tracks and theory for Grade 2 I will take the Grade 1 exam!

I went to the guitar show in Birmingham at the weekend and was totally inspired ever since.

My greatest achievement to date is to be able to play Sheryl Crow - Soak up the Sun.

I am really excited as I am going shopping this afternoon for a shiny new Boss pedal!!!!

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Georgie said:

Thanks for this, yeah I try and practice everyday and normally play a few tracks with CD's, then some exercises and scales, then will pick up the Rock School book and either play a piece I know or start to learn a new one. My ideal is that once I can play all the desired tracks and theory for Grade 2 I will take the Grade 1 exam!

I went to the guitar show in Birmingham at the weekend and was totally inspired ever since.

My greatest achievement to date is to be able to play Sheryl Crow - Soak up the Sun.

I am really excited as I am going shopping this afternoon for a shiny new Boss pedal!!!!

Georgie said:

Georgie said:

Georgie said:

Also  check the classifeds here. you get some great deals off the people on here.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    JAYJO said:
    Georgie said:

Georgie said:

Georgie said:

Georgie said:

Also  check the classifeds here. you get some great deals off the people on here.
    ps I cant reiterate it enough :D        
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Noticed!!!! lol

Sometimes I get like that too, like that too, like that too!!!!!

Thanks for the advice - I will keep my eyes peeled.

That's a delay post post post post

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 306
    Something that I like to do, is play the piece in reverse when you have learned it.
    Funny enough I bought a delay pedal at the weekend. I have found a local tutor who has told me to miss out grade 1 as I am too good and that for everyday playing grade 4 is far enough for headings :D Thanks for great advice I will try that!!! :S
    'headings' WTF!!!! Should be headings!!! Lol
    Damn predictive text has done is again GRADINGS!!!!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    when you work on grade n, keep the book for grade n-1. you will find the set pieces at grade n sufficient to keep you occupied with playing them they way they want you to play them, and structurally may be too difficult to improvise over. That's where grade n-1 comes in. Use the set pieces as jam backings. You have become familiar with them for playing the set guitar part and if your tutor has done his job you will understand the theoretical analysis of those pieces. So now jam with them, and see if you can discover your own guitar parts.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Good advice - although I am a very lucky girl and the neighbour is grade 5 and we sit for hours jamming so I am getting that side sorted too. My new highest achievement is being able to play pink Floyd - run like hell!!!! :D
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I'm taking one of my students through rock school grade 5 right now..

it's pretty good fun actually..

play every note as if it were your first
    Clarky said:

I'm taking one of my students through rock school grade 5 right now..

it's pretty good fun actually..

I'm hoping to make it to grade 1, one day :D

I'd like to do grade 8 smashing up a drum kit with a Tele
    Clarky said:
    I'd like to do grade 8 smashing up a drum kit with a Tele

You'd do better smashing the Tele with a drum kit......

how about smashing a Tele on a drum kit..

thereby smashing up both of them.. that has to mean I get bonus marks..

Clarky said:

how about smashing a Tele on a drum kit..

thereby smashing up both of them.. that has to mean I get bonus marks..

You'd get a doctorate in smashing stuff for that.

Dr Clarky, Phd in smashing stuff.  Got a ring to it......

oh jeez it totally does