Behold my massive board of pedals

What's Hot

Comments

• longilongi Frets: 95
    Drew_fx;42836" said:
    longi said:

Here's my humble setup.

What are those Korg Toneworks units like?
    I don't think it will do enough for what you want. It doesn't do 4cm hence the M5 midi'd up to it. The reverbs are not so good and it doesn't have a harmonizer. It doesn't do a fraction of what the GT-100 does, but that said I love it it's just so easy to use.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Cool man, thanks for the heads up :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    No probs. I don't know if you know but Digitech are releasing some new processors in the next few weeks. The baby ones are due out now, and the more powerfull ones are out within the next few weeks according to the Digitech rep on TGP.
  • shadyshady Frets: 252

Ah...bumsticks.  I've just seen another thread by you regarding the 4cm with the AX on the Korg forum, I rather fancied dicking around with that - alas it would seem pointless.

What's the idea giving it a pre fx section and then placing the fx loop before it?  Definately dropped a bollock there.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    longi said:
    No probs. I don't know if you know but Digitech are releasing some new processors in the next few weeks. The baby ones are due out now, and the more powerfull ones are out within the next few weeks according to the Digitech rep on TGP.
    Y'know I read something, but I did not realize they were announcing some daddies. Definitely gonna hold fire for now then. I really hope they deliver. My needs are pretty simple, but kinda specific at the same time:

- Instantaneous (or imperceptible if you want to be accurate) patch changes
    - Midi out sending PC's and CC's
    - Modulation effects; phaser and flanger mostly
    - Delay effects; a nice crisp digital delay and a reversed digital delay
    - Time sync; syncable to BPM note values
    - Tap tempo; with the delays not drifting all over the place in terms of pitch
    - Reverb effects; bog standard hall and plate algorithms
    - Manual mode; a way to quickly switch into manual mode
    - At least 6 assignable effects slots
    - A way to queue up a preset change; bank mode should sit there waiting paitently for my foot!

Sounds like a lot, but it's pretty basic stuff from a performance perspective. I often feel like multi-fx are made entirely for the bedroom warrior crowd, the people who wouldn't give a shit about most of this.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Here's my very recently updated board :

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubble;44031" said:
    Here's my very recently updated board :
    must have taken ages to work out where to put everything...

:(|)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013
    shady;43374" said:
    Ah...bumsticks.  I've just seen another thread by you regarding the 4cm with the AX on the Korg forum, I rather fancied dicking around with that - alas it would seem pointless.

What's the idea giving it a pre fx section and then placing the fx loop before it?  Definitely dropped a bollock there.
    Would that be the Proboards forum? I think the AX was to have a more comprehensive feature set when it was designed. The more I look at the AX the more I think that. Effects loop, separate pre effects blocks for wah and overdrives. The giveaway for me is the overdrive on with the preamp model effects block. There's just no point in doing that unless your going to have it 4cm enabled. When you only use the overdrive and reverb and delay models they all distort. I think 4cm ability may have been omitted at the last minute or at the very least when the feature set was finalised. The inclusion of midi is a godsend though. Without it I'd have sold it long ago, The fact that is has it led to endless fun trying to make it operate outside of it's design spec. I'm still  trying to find ways of making it do things it shouldn't be able to do. If I were you I'd try out an M5 out front with the AX in the loop, it works very very well. The AX's expression controller works the M5 functions straight off the bat without even looking at setting up midi functions such as wah wah, volume swells etc. If you get the chance check one out! 

:)
    Drew_fx said:
    longi said:
    Y'know I read something, but I did not realize they were announcing some daddies. Definitely gonna hold fire for now then. I really hope they deliver. My needs are pretty simple, but kinda specific at the same time:

- Instantaneous (or imperceptible if you want to be accurate) patch changes
    - Midi out sending PC's and CC's
    - Modulation effects; phaser and flanger mostly
    - Delay effects; a nice crisp digital delay and a reversed digital delay
    - Time sync; syncable to BPM note values
    - Tap tempo; with the delays not drifting all over the place in terms of pitch
    - Reverb effects; bog standard hall and plate algorithms
    - Manual mode; a way to quickly switch into manual mode
    - At least 6 assignable effects slots
    - A way to queue up a preset change; bank mode should sit there waiting paitently for my foot!

Sounds like a lot, but it's pretty basic stuff from a performance perspective. I often feel like multi-fx are made entirely for the bedroom warrior crowd, the people who wouldn't give a shit about most of this.
    There's always the G-System I'd bet that might do what you want.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Just completed my little spare board.. just cheap spare pedals.

• Finally got round to getting my pedals onto my old board. (I sold a lot of my pedals a few months ago so longer needed all the space this one gave me) 

Signal chain:

Guitar -> Korg DT10 Tuner -> MXR Dyna Comp -> ISP Decimator G-String -> Ibanez TS9 -> TC Electronics Spark Booster -> AMP -> Decimator again -> TC Triniy Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy -> AMP -> Zilla 2x12 

The spark booster, dyna comp and the decimator stay on pretty much all the time, unless I want to play with the volume on my guitar. Requires a bit of tap dancing atm but i'll work something out in the future.

• JadedJaded Frets: 127
    edited October 2013

My current (and messy!) incarnation:

Guitar > Wah > TU-2 > LS-2 > EQ > DML10 > CCL "Dual Chorus" > RV-7 > Amp

LS-2 loop A = HF-2

LS-2 loop B = FZ-2 > Hot Tubes > HM-2

Sounded great with my Cobain Jaguar at an open mic the other day!

But... I'm considering finding a second CCL (or it's 10-series brother the PC10 "Prime Dual Chorus") to replace the HF-2 for when I want actual chorus and not just a chorus-y flanger ...or maybe the Behringer Dimension C clone? That's a sort of half way house, right? B-)

• I've just completed the rebuild of my 'pre-amp' board...

This was instigated by the purchase of a new power supply (HB Powerplant Junior under the top row of pedals) and has allowed me to fit an extra drive pedal on there (VFE Dark Horse, the black one next to the Boss phaser). My boards have evolved over the years into a pretty complex wiring pattern and I was keen to keep the wiring as unobtrusive as possible - too many gigs knee-deep in cabling spaghetti have left me a little sensitive to this. I think I managed to keep the board wiring nicely unobtrusive, though...

The size of the board is predetermined by the case it fits in. It does all still fit, just about...

Finally, here's the board in my home studio, alongside it's companion 'Delay Board'. I use this set-up to do a lot of looping and ambient stuff using the DL4...

1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Still waiting on a couple more changes to arrive then I can finally get on with cutting out a new base to hide the cables and wiring it up to bring the tone to life.

I've just completed the rebuild of my 'pre-amp' board...

Do you mind running through the signal chain and what everything does? I really like the rhythm/solo box, ala J. Mascis!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    @Jaded how are you finding the HF2? How does it compare to other flangers?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited October 2013
    Jaded said:
    Do you mind running through the signal chain and what everything does? I really like the rhythm/solo box, ala J. Mascis!
    Well, the signal chain is a bit complex so I'll come back to that.
    Starting at the bottom right, there's the main guitar input box with a Boss NS-2 noise supressor behind it; a Rothwell Love Squeeze compressor; a custom Dual Boost and FX Loop  (this gives me two separate clean boost levels and also a footswitchable loop containing the various drive pedals so they can be switched in/out together with a single stomp); Volume Pedal; [back row from right] Boss PH-1R phaser; VFE Pedals Dark Horse distortion; Xotic Effects AC+ booster/overdrive; custom Rhythm/Solo box (this is just a passive attenuator for 'rhythm' with 'solo' being straight through. It also has a send/return insert so the level attenuation can be placed post the amp's preamp, with the amp's fx send feeding back into this box). Underneath the AC+ is an Award-Session JD10 pre-amp/overdrive which I've modified to remove the top-mounted footswitch - it is now switched in/out via a small true-bypass switcher mounted behind the Dark Horse. There is a small box under the Boss phaser on the right which houses a parallel out for my tuner and also an insert send/return placed in the loop containing the overdrives (before the Dark Horse).

It's a system I've slowly evolved over the years that allows me to blend various boosts/overdrives together to get different tonal textures, while at the same time having them footswitchable from a single stomp (the blue LED 'FX loop on' footswitch on the Dual Boost/Fx loop box at the front). Noise is kept in check by the NS-2 which has all the drives/boosts and also the phaser in it's own loop.

Due to the various loops-within-loops nature of the signal path, it's difficult to describe it. Indeed, it was so difficult to get my head around that I had to make a flowchart style diagram for myself so that I didn't make any mistakes wiring it up. As you can see, it's anything but straightforward....

Thankfully, it all works. As it was something I built up slowly over time, working the various combinations is pretty intuitive for me. It's a lot more difficult trying to describe it to someone else.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bidley said:
    I haven't played many other flangers but for a while I used it alongside a BF2 and comparatively it's more of a subtle flange, nowhere near as metallic sounding but it get's more convincing chorus settings than the BF2 did. It's definitely got a deeper sweep than the flanger side on my Ibanez CCL though (as far I'm aware the CCL is basically the FL9 circuit). 

I've heard it compared to an Electric Mistress (which was why I bought it actually), I have no idea if it really does but it can nail that Police and early Cure flange. 

Jaded said:
    Starting at the bottom right, there's the main guitar input box with a Boss NS-2 noise supressor behind it; a Rothwell Love Squeeze compressor; a custom Dual Boost and FX Loop  (this gives me two separate clean boost levels and also a footswitchable loop containing the various drive pedals so they can be switched in/out together with a single stomp); Volume Pedal; [back row from right] Boss PH-1R phaser; VFE Pedals Dark Horse distortion; Xotic Effects AC+ booster/overdrive; custom Rhythm/Solo box (this is just a passive attenuator for 'rhythm' with 'solo' being straight through. It also has a send/return insert so the level attenuation can be placed post the amp's preamp, with the amp's fx send feeding back into this box). Underneath the AC+ is an Award-Session JD10 pre-amp/overdrive which I've modified to remove the top-mounted footswitch - it is now switched in/out via a small true-bypass switcher mounted behind the Dark Horse. There is a small box under the Boss phaser on the right which houses a parallel out for my tuner and also an insert send/return placed in the loop containing the overdrives (before the Dark Horse).

It's a system I've slowly evolved over the years that allows me to blend various boosts/overdrives together to get different tonal textures, while at the same time having them footswitchable from a single stomp (the blue LED 'FX loop on' footswitch on the Dual Boost/Fx loop box at the front). Noise is kept in check by the NS-2 which has all the drives/boosts and also the phaser in it's own loop.

Due to the various loops-within-loops nature of the signal path, it's difficult to describe it. Indeed, it was so difficult to get my head around that I had to make a flowchart style diagram for myself so that I didn't make any mistakes wiring it up. As you can see, it's anything but straightforward....

Thankfully, it all works. As it was something I built up slowly over time, working the various combinations is pretty intuitive for me. It's a lot more difficult trying to describe it to someone else.
    Whoa, yeah that's rather complex! Inception eat your heart out. It sounds like a lot of fun, I love the idea of being able to pre-set the levels of gain, though I'm not sure I'd be able to keep track of what's going where haha.

How do you find the Love Squeeze compared to something like a Dyna Comp? 
    Bidley said:
    I haven't played many other flangers but for a while I used it alongside a BF2 and comparatively it's more of a subtle flange, nowhere near as metallic sounding but it get's more convincing chorus settings than the BF2 did. It's definitely got a deeper sweep than the flanger side on my Ibanez CCL though (as far I'm aware the CCL is basically the FL9 circuit). 

I've heard it compared to an Electric Mistress (which was why I bought it actually), I have no idea if it really does but it can nail that Police and early Cure flange. 

Jaded said:

Whoa, yeah that's rather complex! Inception eat your heart out. It sounds like a lot of fun, I love the idea of being able to pre-set the levels of gain, though I'm not sure I'd be able to keep track of what's going where haha.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited October 2013
    Jaded said:

They're very different. I love the Dynacomp but it is a very obvious compression. Musical, but a very definite character. I was after a much more transparent, subtle compression and the Love Squeeze is superb for that. Very clean and clear and very low noise. I have it always on, first in line and outside of the noise supressor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom