Saw Clapton live last night

stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
edited March 2014 in Music
Never been a huge fan outside the obvious Beano/Beatles/Cream stuff, but it was u pthe road in Dubai and a great venue, so I got me a ticket. 

Generally excellent performance-wise, though some of the stylistic decisions were a bit odd- almost reggae-rhythm on Tears In Heaven was a little strange, and there were WAY too many keyboard solos (one pianoer and one hammondist and no 2nd guitarist) but it was excellent to see a legend at work (and tick another off the list!). Crossroads was a missed opportunity, as ever these days, and no Cocaine because it was in Dubai and a bit inappropriate. On the flipside, the solo on Sheriff was fecking brilliant and Nobody Knows When You're Down And Out and Before You Accuse Me were both great.

What did strike me was his tone- usually awful in youtubes he was on the middle pickup 90% of the night, and the mid-boost actually sounded pretty great in live context. When he had it halfway up it was excellent, and only got a bit much when full up. In any case a lot better in real life than I was expecting. Didn't tune his one pewter Strat all night, which was impressive too- tech did it at the halftime acoustic break and that was all. I can't go that long without checking it, never mind retuning!!

This was my view- not bad considering I only arrived 20 minutes before kickoff!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice one. There were hints recently that he might be retiring from the road, or at least from major touring, so good timing if that turns out to be true.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    Yeah- that's a big part of why I went. Same for the Stones the other week. These guys are getting old and can't keep going forever.

He's not as quick as when he was 22 but he's every bit as good as 20 years ago I reckon. And now I want a 000-28EC, obviously!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    Contrary to the popular view that Clapton can't play like he used to, I've seen recent Youtube vids where he was on fire. I think sometimes he can be competent, rather than inspired but he's my favourite guitar player of all time and a massive hero. I'm just glad that at almost 69, he's fit and well and still playing. Long may he continue!