Greta Van Fleet

What's Hot

Comments

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    edited March 2018
    To be honest, once you listen to the album get over the initial obvious vocal similarity to Zep, they actually do have their own style and identity. A couple of really great songs.

I can hear more Rush and Dio influence than Zep.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    SimonC said:
    To be honest, once you listen to the album get over the initial obvious vocal similarity to Zep, they actually do have their own style and identity. A couple of really great songs.

I can hear more Rush and Dio influence than Zep.
    While I'm not saying it's not a good record. Suggesting they have any style other than one borrowed 99.8% from Led Zeppelin is hilarious... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Get off the pot, Sticky! Do you like it, or not?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Get off the pot, Sticky! Do you like it, or not?
    I think they're pretty good. But I really wish they tried to sound like themselves rather than just Page & Plant. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited March 2018 tFB Trader

I've ordered the CD. Unfortunately, I'm not very cerebral when it comes to music. I liked it and it made me smile.

Thanks for alerting me to it, OP. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

Happy to be of service!

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    martinw said:

I've ordered the CD. Unfortunately, I'm not very cerebral when it comes to music. I liked it and it made me smile.

Thanks for alerting me to it, OP. :)

And that is what music should be about, why over think everything, pick out the detail of who it sounds like or where they copied what from. In a time where most music is bland and at least computer aided why not just enjoy a group of musicians with a great singer.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Schnozz said:
    I see what you're saying, but the rest of the band doesn't really have that 'wow' factor like LZ (in my opinion) - I find myself just focusing on the great vocals.
    This 100%, they're clearly excellent musicians but held up to the light of Bonham/Jones/Page they pale somewhat. Its actually almost an unfair comparison as those guys are literally Champions League, compared to GVFs Championship pretenders. The singer is great like but pure Plant lets face it. Good stuff though, nice to hear some new bands keeping the flame alive. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    Went to see GvF in Glasgow last night. Absolutely fantastic gig. Cracking venue, small but not tiny, good support band too (The Second Sons) that were in the right vein for the main band. Had a blast all round, the crowd was great and everyone loved it. Bumped into the singer on our way out to the taxi too, he was pretty shy and seemed a bit taken aback that people were wanting to speak to him, probably as he’s so young still.

I did have a fair whack of beer but they’re definitely of the best bands I’ve seen for a while and I still love their album / doubles EP after tonnes of listens.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Lest anyone forget the heavy metal thunder was supplied JPJ and Bonzo
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Sherpa Van Fleet - - all powered by MGB power

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4044/4425736322_bb30e2f084_b.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Leyland Daf 400 fleet?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

I've had these in my ears again this week as they've started doing the rounds of the US late night shows - presumably a full album is out soon. 

I like them more than my initial snark would maybe suggest, but they are so heavily Zep-influenced you can almost highlight exactly the place they've stolen all the good ideas from ("oh, this is Houses of the Holy", "that lick is from Stairway", "now there's an organ bit just like Thank You" etc etc.)

But i'm still enjoying listening to it. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Yep, me too !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited July 2018
    Same here, still think they're fantastic. The Jimmy Fallon performance was ace I thought and they were absolutely brilliant when I saw them in Glasgow back on Easter Sunday. I'm still telling folk I know to try them out, most aren't bothered (their taste, not the band being shit) but a few have really taken to them.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Yeah, I'm liking them a lot. I don't have a problem with the Led Zep influence, when did Page or Plant last play anything with that much balls?

Boy do they make me feel old though ....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31370
    I like them more than my initial snark would maybe suggest, but they are so heavily Zep-influenced you can almost highlight exactly the place they've stolen all the good ideas from ("oh, this is Houses of the Holy", "that lick is from Stairway", "now there's an organ bit just like Thank You" etc etc.)
    That's exactly what I still think about SRV, you can pull out a Hendrix album track for practically every song. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Their new song is really good too. 

Of course I didn't hear it on the FM radio in this country, because it is fucking crap, but heard it when I was driving across Europe.