Lots of new pickup stuff from Alegree (consolidated staple thread)

What's Hot
AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
edited December 2017 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
(Consolidating all my new stuff into the previous staple P90 thread)

Chameleons are here!
I set out months ago to create the most versatile humbuckers ever, and I'm very pleased with the result. Providing Strat, Tele bridge, Jazzmaster neck, P90, split PAF, PAF, and high output humbucker tones, there's nothing that these pickups can't do. I'm of the opinion that I've succeeded in achieving all these modes without compromise, and I'll be releasing a video demo for the sceptics shortly where I put them through their paces in everything from country to metal.

I'll be putting all my P90 winds available in staple format.

New stamped baseplates and lasered flatworks are here. Now all my pickups* look at good as they sound.
*soapbar baseplates coming shortly

Single coil sized humbuckers are returning! 
A while ago I made a couple of models of these, but quickly learned that they'd easily fall apart - not a good first impression to give. I pulled them in order to redesign them to be more durable, and they now return. The bobbin size is a bit different from before, so they'll require some R&D to recreate my earlier designs. Expect some soon!
Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    Mojo do them too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    TheMarlin said:
    Mojo do them too
    Not on their website...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Do the staple poles sound different? They look cool. 
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    Do the staple poles sound different? They look cool. 
    They'll have the same affect as alnico rods in Strat/Tele pickups.
    They'll produce a brighter, clearer pickup than their true P90 counterparts.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Do these have the correct magnet structure and individual height adjustment like the originals or are they like the Lollar/Thorn/Mojo/Creamery ones which are just fixed staple magnets on a P90 coil and baseplate?

If you’re doing them properly I’d be interested
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    Do these have the correct magnet structure and individual height adjustment like the originals or are they like the Lollar/Thorn/Mojo/Creamery ones which are just fixed staple magnets on a P90 coil and baseplate?

Now that you've come to mention it, I think I may just be able to make them with adjustable magnets.
    It wouldn't look like the normal mechanism, but I think I can devise my own that would work in the same way.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    edited December 2017
    Look good.  I'm sure they'll sound great as well.

Do you have any plans to make them for a HB sized route at any time? 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Good lad. :)

is the cover 3d printed?
    TheMarlin said:
    Mojo do them too
    Do they?  He wasn’t last time I asked, but had been researching them
    RiftAmps said:

I have not seen them from Mojo or creamery???

personally, i am more interested in the fixed magnet approach than the original adjustable ones... They are unreliable and often microphonic.   but i do like that they have a baseplate and think i would want that on a simpler version

I posted these two pics n my les paul ideas thread

tFB Trader
    Look good.  I'm sure they'll sound great as well.

Do you have any plans to make them for a HB sized route at any time? 
    WezV said:
    Good lad. :)

is the cover 3d printed?
    I could probably manipulate the design to make it into a humbucker sized package to custom order without too much difficulty.

The whole thing is 3D printed. Once I've got to grips with the software, there won't be much I can't do to custom order.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    RiftAmps said:

I have not seen them from Mojo or creamery???

personally, i am more interested in the fixed magnet approach than the original adjustable ones... They are unreliable and often microphonic.   but i do like that they have a baseplate and think i would want that on a simpler version

I posted these two pics n my les paul ideas thread

Agree.  The adjustable versions require additional routing/more wood to be taken out than a normal P90 which is something not everyone would want to do - I'd prefer a non adjustable one even if the tonality isn't 100% authentic. 

Mojo Marc AFAIK had a Dynasonic pickup in the works and has something which looks a bit similar but different nonetheless which is Teisco Hound Dog - which has square block pieces not rectangular ones. 
    tFB Trader
    Thread now consolidated with all the new and upcoming stuff.
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    edited December 2017
    Will you be doing a Tele bridge sized humbucker? 

The facebook link in your profile doesn't work.
    tFB Trader
    Elwood said:

Yes I should be able to make some bases for the Strat ones suitable for Tele bridge.
    tFB Trader
    Elwood said:

Also got the Facebook link working - thanks for the heads up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Been looking at your stuff: looks the business. Are you planning any more of those sexy looking wood veneer humbucker sized Filtertrons? Thinking of turning a thinline Tele into as near as dammit the newly advertised Super Deluxe model...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    Been looking at your stuff: looks the business. Are you planning any more of those sexy looking wood veneer humbucker sized Filtertrons? Thinking of turning a thinline Tele into as near as dammit the newly advertised Super Deluxe model...

Thanks!

I've just taken a delivery of the covers, so the design is here to stay - here's a set the way I'll typically be making them https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/clearance-section/products/humbucker-sized-filtertron-set

I'm sure I can get more veneers from my supplier on request.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Alegree said:

Thanks!

I've just taken a delivery of the covers, so the design is here to stay - here's a set the way I'll typically be making them https://www.alegree.co.uk/collections/clearance-section/products/humbucker-sized-filtertron-set

You interest me strangely...  Just really liking the retro wood effect.

Now here's a thing.  The stock Fender widerange pickups that I'm thinking of replacing have 4 screws apiece attaching them to the scratchplate/guard.  Yours (and indeed many other) HB pups have lugs for just one screw each side.  Is there an easy way to square that with some sort of bracket, or are we into drilling holes in the guard territory (which I don't mind doing, but it then leaves the unsightly mess of the original mounting holes...)

I might have a poke around your site for inspiration with my cup of covfefe.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    Alegree said:

Thanks!

You interest me strangely...  Just really liking the retro wood effect.

Now here's a thing.  The stock Fender widerange pickups that I'm thinking of replacing have 4 screws apiece attaching them to the scratchplate/guard.  Yours (and indeed many other) HB pups have lugs for just one screw each side.  Is there an easy way to square that with some sort of bracket, or are we into drilling holes in the guard territory (which I don't mind doing, but it then leaves the unsightly mess of the original mounting holes...)

I might have a poke around your site for inspiration with my cup of covfefe.
    They're intended to be a drop in fit for standard humbuckers, wide range humbuckers have completely different coil and cover dimensions.

You're going to have a very hard time finding a Filtertron in a wide range size. Your best option is a pickguard designed for standard humbuckers in my opinion.