Solo of the Month (SotM) #32

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited January 2018 in Making Music
This is the 32nd solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge and is being run by @stratman3142 and @TTony. ;;;;

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 11:30pm on 24th January 2018

Here's this month's backing track (you can download it from soundcloud). Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it to us.

Send your tracks (in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk 

Discussion:
This is an attempt to create a track that sounds a bit 'Steely Dan'.

It's slightly tricky (at least it is for me) but I expect it will be 'walk in the park' for any jazz guitarists.

The aim is to get as many as possible involved. If we can promote discussion and help others to get involved then that's the most important thing.
Feel free to ask any questions. You can message me but you'll probably get the best answers on the forum. Everyone's in with a chance and often the simple melodic approach wins the day.

The chords are in a pdf at the link below, if you want to refer to them. Let me know if you have any problems and if you spot any errors or typos.
https://app.box.com/s/oujsh2twlcohqz1xvnv1cr95ayg0thtb

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline of 24th January 2018, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
Voting will end on 11.30pm 31st January 2018
The order and scores of the three people with the most votes will be announced soon after the voting ends. Although it's not really about winning and there are no prizes. Think of it as forum team building, learning from each other

Entries so far are below in the order I received them:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm-2018-01

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Are people OK with me posting entries as I receive them (as Antique_Guitars used to do), or should I hold off until the end?

I'm inclined to post Sotm entries as I receive them, as it keeps the thread more alive, but I'll go with the majority view.
    It's not a competition.
  • I'll be happy for you to post my entry when I get around to recording it.

As a newbie to this forum I'd like to ask if there's an etiquette to these things as far as other platforms go - e.g. is it okay to also upload it with thefretboard in descriptions to our own Soundcloud / YouTube channels?
  • ...As a newbie to this forum I'd like to ask if there's an etiquette to these things as far as other platforms go - e.g. is it okay to also upload it with thefretboard in descriptions to our own Soundcloud / YouTube channels?
    I'm just the monkey not the organ grinder, but I've consulted with management and apparently that's OK :)

It's not a competition.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    edited December 2017
    Going to have a go at this one when the holidays are over. There, I’ve said it, that means I have to get on and do it now.

If you post the entries as they come in that’ll encourage me to get on and get mine sorted and in!!
  • Sent!!!  I haven't played on one of these in ages.
  • Sent. I think I've created a new genre called Jizz!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That makes two I've received already. Very quick off the mark. I'd better get my finger out and have a go myself.
    It's not a competition.
  • @stratman3142 I personally think you should post all the entries when it comes time to vote.  I think this gives an opportunity for equal listening time for all entries.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That makes two I've received already. Very quick off the mark. I'd better get my finger out and have a go myself.
    Or it means some of us have churned out something quick for the sake of it and expect to spend most of January learning to program midi drums for the composition challenge! 
  • Done mine.
    It's not a competition.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Going to try and get myself back into these after about a year off. I like the backing track and I love Steely Dan. So all I need is my new(ish) SA2200 and some of Carlton's talent ... hmmm

Uploading all submissions at voting time would be a change to previous practice but not necessarily a bad change - it was always noticeable that early entries got more listens, but I don't know whether that ever translated into more votes. I'd have to crunch the numbers ...
    If it helps anyone save time syncing to your DAW its 105bpm.

• markv said:
    ...Uploading all submissions at voting time would be a change to previous practice but not necessarily a bad change - it was always noticeable that early entries got more listens, but I don't know whether that ever translated into more votes. I'd have to crunch the numbers ...
    It would be great to hear your entries again. I liked your understated melodic approach.

From this and the other challenge threads, people seem to either not mind or would prefer submissions at voting time. So, for now, I'm going to go with uploading the submissions at voting time, unless I hear a strong body of views to the contrary.
    It's not a competition.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited December 2017
    Rowby1 said:

Yes that's correct. It's bang on 105bpm.

If you need the tempo of future SotM's and the chords I'll always post a link to a chart which includes the tempo (as I have for this one in the first post).

I didn't post the chart to be immediately visible on the forum because I know that some prefer not to know the chords.

It's not a competition.
    Rowby1 said:

Yes that's correct. It's bang on 105bpm.

If you need the tempo of future SotM's and the chords I'll always post a link to a chart which includes the tempo (as I have for this one in the first post).

I didn't post the chart to be immediately visible on the forum because I know that some prefer not to know the chords.

Oops, only just spotted the chart.....doh!!
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    You're too kind @stratman3142!

This strikes me as akin toThe Nightfly-era Donald Fagen - like a cross between "Ruby Baby" and "New Frontier" (rhythm from the former, that E7/E7sus4 thing from the latter). I have no idea what the right scales/modes would be but if a simple blues scale is good enough for Larry, that's good enough for me.
  • @markv - E blues would work. I ended up going with E blues for the E/E7sus4 "verse" trying to play more of E major part. I switched to the Em pentatonic part of the blues scale for the "chorus" and it seemed to work. 

I should however warn you that I had never listened to Steeley Dan and decided not to before entering as I thought it better just to give it a go... I have since realised that playing far too many notes and using the neck pickup was probably not the right approach! 
  • Sent mine.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Just a reminder. Get your entries in by 11:30pm on 24th January 2018

So far we've got entries from (in the order I received them):

@bingefeller ;
    @flying_pie ;
    @stratman3142 ;
    @Luxxman ;
    @Bellycaster ;

Let me know if I've missed anyone.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2018
    Mine’s in now.

Was a tricky one this, somewhat outside my comfort zone.

I wanted to try the Larry Carlton thing but I think it’s ended up sounding more like incidental music from an ‘80s US sitcom  3