small breakthrough. I think I have been pushing the strings down too hard.

What's Hot
I had a issue with my les paul where the e strings would slip off the fretboard. 

This caused me to adjust my playing a little bit but I was playing late last night and noticed how much better my playing was when I used a lighter touch.

I picked up another guitar and played the same way and it sounded a lot better, faster and more comfortable. wish I had changed this before.

I just need to adjust the tendency I have when playing harder with the picking hand I tend to press down harder with the fretting but I'll work on this. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    edited January 2018
    It's a common problem I think.

One way to train yourself out of it would be to set up a guitar with really light strings on it. If you press too hard, you'll pull them out of tune. It's amazing how much faster it is if you play lightly. I suspect a big part of the reason so many shredders' guitars are set up like that is that they force you to play lightly.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    Yeah - too many times ppl go and change their nut when all they need to do is not press the strings down like Iron Man!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Bad habit of mine I think and I have been working on it. May be worse if you are in a physical job so strength dominates any tendency for a light touch??  Try tapping your fingers and you will normally do a 4 3 2 1 from index finger to pinky, do that as fast as possible. For some reason we seem to do this naturally but if you reverse it the to 1 2 3 4 the fluidity goes and more importantly stress (or rather the brain) seems to set in so a harder thump occurs on what you are taping against - not good :-(

Of course practice will change everything :-)

Not sure if experienced/accomplished guitarists here agree. I'm a terrible player but I have fun trying to improve and I noticed the above and that certain people seem to strangle the guitar neck - try moving their fingers when demonstrating a chord, wow!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    I’m in the same boat. I’ve always had a death grip and my speed is nowhere near where it should be after a couple of years playing because I can’t get around the fretboard very easily with how hard I press. 

I’m trying to become more aware of it and I often have a moment where I somehow manage to play without the vice grip and it’s amazing how much better it is. But I still can’t seem to eliminate it even though I’m aware of it, and more often that not I’m pressing too hard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom