LD Systems MAUI 5 - Anyone have any experience?

What's Hot
benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
I'm thinking about going out doing some solo acoustic stuff. Nothing serious just a few small pubs and maybe restaurants. Came across these and wondered if they might be worth a punt?
I like the fact its small and easy to carry as it would just be me. I assume the sound will be compromised but if I'm honest I'm not mega fussed! Im sure it'll be good enough. 

Just interested if anyone has any real world experience?
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Yes, my drummer has the Maui 5 and I have the Maui G2 28.
    I really like both. Now I've not gigged with the Maui5 only rehearsed with it, it's a bit smaller in size - it has a couple of combo jacks, bluetooth and mp3 in. Really you need a mixer with at least reverb if you are going to put vocals through it.

I think it would be ok for small gigs, just you. Sound quality is excellent, and the sub rounds it off.

You need a bit of distance between you and it otherwise it sounds really, really odd. I never, ever have it directly behind me if it's going to be close. Sound spread is good.

The 28 offers a bit more spread, a bit more headroom and is good enough for a duo, trio, vocal PA for small band. It's worth the extra £'s imo. I do solo gigs, gigs with backing tracks (I use an amp for the electric guitar in these cases) and my country trio gigs (2 vocal, 1 acoustic in the PA, snare and electric not in the PA)

In bigger bands, we have used both for monitor systems and it's been good. 

One thing, they don't pack down as small as the Bose. I bought the carry bags and that was worth it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh, will add, I've also played a lot with the small bose system. B1 and l1 with tone match. The maui 5 is louder and sounds better.
  • @Teetonetal cheers mate, really appreciate your advice. One question, are you saying it’d be best supplemented with an external mixer for reverb etc? Is that something that’s easily done? 

Other than that it looks like a good setup? 
    How very rock and roll
    @Teetonetal cheers mate, really appreciate your advice. One question, are you saying it’d be best supplemented with an external mixer for reverb etc? Is that something that’s easily done? 

Other than that it looks like a good setup? 
    Yes. I have some really cheap 4 channel Mackie desk with on board FX.
    The Maui is just an amp. So whilst you can plug your vocals and guitar into it, it will be dry.

So for my backing track stuff, I bluetooth the backing tracks direct to the Maui.
    Guitar and vocals into the Mackie - Mackie into the Maui.

I just looked at the Maui website again and the 5 is more compact that then 28, it breaks into 3 parts. 
  • And presumably the Mackie just goes straight into one of the inputs on the Maui? 

Sorry for dumb questions, I’m a PA numpty I’m afraid. 

Tbanks for your help pal. 
    How very rock and roll