Replacement for Focusrite Saffire DSP24

What's Hot
I love my Focusrite, but it's starting to play silly buggers - looks like a recent Windows update is messing with the driver, and given that the product is end of life I think that it might not be worth persevering with.

It's a Firewire device - I want to replace it, but I'm not sure if it's worth sticking with Firewire, or going USB (or even direct to motherboard).

What's out there at the moment?  What's good in the ~£200 market?
Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    I'm not quite in the same position, but I do have two Saffires (USB for Win7 laptop, Firewire for iMac).

My next step will be RME - possibly the UCX which has both Firewire and USB. Mainly because of the RME rep and the fact they do their own drivers and seem to support them well. Not £200 though (even used).
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    Yeah, nice looking kit but way overkill for what I need.

One thing I'm surprised about is how few interfaces have XLR speaker outs.  
    Mark de Manbey

• Focusrite scarlet should be pretty similar but work via USB.

• I have a saffire pro 26 and I found I had to buy a particular firewire card for it to work correctly with windows. I tried a cheap one first but I kept having drop outs.

Mines all good (touch wood) but I will never use firewire again. Especially with USB-C type devices on the horizon.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    I have a saffire pro 26 and I found I had to buy a particular firewire card for it to work correctly with windows. I tried a cheap one first but I kept having drop outs.

Mines all good (touch wood) but I will never use firewire again. Especially with USB-C type devices on the horizon.

This is true. 

I’ve a Saffire Firewire. Had to buy all manner of adapters due to usb-c. If you can hold out, then do. 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    OK - that's good to know.  I have a pretty generic FireWire card, nothing fancy.  It has been reliable up to now.  Maybe I'll test it with a better card.
    Mark de Manbey

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    edited January 2018
    Look on focusrites website. They list compatible chipsets. I found my card on scan.co.uk I think
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.