Best nut files available in U.K./EU?

What's Hot

I need some nut files, but I don’t know which ones to buy. Anything from Stew Mac is out, because importing takes forever and costs a fortune in import duty. I’ve read most of the nut file threads here, and learned a ton, but I still don’t know what to buy.

These are some options:

Thomann Goldo/Hosco 

ToneTech Hosco

Crimson

Are those Goldo/Hosco files any good? They only come in 6 sizes, 10-46. Is that actually suitable for 10-46 strings, or should I be using bigger files than that? If they're suitable, I'd prefer those, as I can get them from Thomann. 

Other suggestions welcome. Price isn't necessarily a factor. I'd rather buy the right set once and forget about it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

I've got these...

https://www.guitarsupplies.nl/en/ibanezuo-chikyu-nut-file-set-8-stuks

Not used them much, but very happy so far. They have two edges per size, so I keep one for bone/plastic, and the other for metals like brass. 10-46 files should cover 10-46 strings, but, for all the difference in price I felt that it was worth getting a set that could handle 12s on acoustic.

Postage was a bit hefty (15 euro, I think), but was next day (to Edinburgh) once the order was dispatched. I ordered other stuff at the time, so it was fine. I get the impression it's a small business - not much more than a one-man band. Seemed to take a couple of days to get the stuff out, but service was good. With my first order, the nut files weren't in stock - he was happy to take them off the order and dispatch the rest. He notified me when they came in and I ordered them then with no issues. Was also conducive to me adding stuff to an order that was already in his system.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    I've got the Hosco ones from Tonetech but I prefer my Stewmac ones because they are more precise. 

Delivery from Stewmac usually takes a couple of days and I usually buy enough stuff that the DHL surcharge isn't such a problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Yeah, stewmac can usually deliver as quick as any uk source.   It was brill when the exchange rate was better, still well worth it if you need a few bits 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited January 2018
    A while back I got to see the Stew Mac single, double, and hosco files up close at a local guitar tech’s.

My choice would be the Stew Mac double sided, but only because it makes the thin gauges more sturdy. That’s what I bought.
  • The Stew Mac files are actually very reasonable. The problem is import duty. I live in Germany and they never, ever forget to charge it. 
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Post 12 here is worth a read...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/cheap-er-nut-files.210187/

I remember finding that when I was shopping for files.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    edited January 2018
    ... and this whole thread. http://www.tdpri.com/threads/review-of-welding-tip-cleaner-as-nut-slot-files.189395/
    Some find welding tip files work. Some don’t.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    Nomad said:

I've got these...

https://www.guitarsupplies.nl/en/ibanezuo-chikyu-nut-file-set-8-stuks

Not used them much, but very happy so far. They have two edges per size, so I keep one for bone/plastic, and the other for metals like brass. 10-46 files should cover 10-46 strings, but, for all the difference in price I felt that it was worth getting a set that could handle 12s on acoustic.

Postage was a bit hefty (15 euro, I think), but was next day (to Edinburgh) once the order was dispatched. I ordered other stuff at the time, so it was fine. I get the impression it's a small business - not much more than a one-man band. Seemed to take a couple of days to get the stuff out, but service was good. With my first order, the nut files weren't in stock - he was happy to take them off the order and dispatch the rest. He notified me when they came in and I ordered them then with no issues. Was also conducive to me adding stuff to an order that was already in his system.

+1 to those. I have a mix of the hiroshima files from http://www.japarts.ca/Uo-Chikyu/Uo-Chikyu-Products-Featured.asp and the Stewmac version.

Both ship quickly.
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    If you decide on the Hosco double sided I have them for a good price.
    http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42&products_id=302

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    I went for a Hosco set a while back, very pleased with them....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Nomad said:

Post 12 here is worth a read...

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/cheap-er-nut-files.210187/

I remember finding that when I was shopping for files.

I’ve read that thread before, but somehow missed the post with the comparisons. A very interesting read. 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    I've got the Hosco ones from Tonetech but I prefer my Stewmac ones because they are more precise. 

Delivery from Stewmac usually takes a couple of days and I usually buy enough stuff that the DHL surcharge isn't such a problem.
    WezV said:
    Yeah, stewmac can usually deliver as quick as any uk source.   It was brill when the exchange rate was better, still well worth it if you need a few bits 
      I think there is a misconception about buying from Stew Mac, particularly on how long it takes for they goods to arrive. If you were to order from Stew Mac today, you would receive it Monday at the latest Tuesday (4 days max excluding weekends) An order from WD could arrive overnight, but at most two days The other places that have been mentioned, you could be looking at a week one in particular whose name I won't mention, but you could be waiting 2 to 3 weeks, there have been many complaints about them on the forum about their bad communications and their delivery times. 
    The cost of Stew Mac is prohibited, no question about that. However, the quality of their tools is second to none. I purchased a set of nut files and their diamond re-crowning files at least 12 years ago, still going strong.  
    I do find a lot of tools guitar repairs and setups for sale in the UK and Europe are a poor copy of the lot of Stew Max equipment. Not all of it mind you , there's a company in Portugal that make excellent sanding radius blocks and quite a few other bits and pieces that are excellent value for money.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    GSPBASSES said:

The other places that have been mentioned, you could be looking at a week one in particular whose name I won't mention, but you could be waiting 2 to 3 weeks, there have been many complaints about them on the forum about their bad communications and their delivery times. 
    Ah yes the company that seems to buy stock from its US parent only on receiving an order for it.

They are trying to maximise cash flow they say (they certainly have lots of my money in hand for backordered items) but they must surely lose a lot of business, including mine, to competitors who have stock and can deliver it next day.

Problem is, they supply the good stuff- high quality OEM items that fit USA guitars. I do hope they stay in business.
  • I went for these in the end. Not cheap, but available, and flat-sided.

€99 from Thomann. I shall report back when I’ve tried them. 
    GSPBASSES said:
     , there's a company in Portugal that make excellent sanding radius blocks and quite a few other bits and pieces that are excellent value for money.
    G&W are certainly doing well at the moment.  I have started checking there on a regular basis and been really happy with the service

i was going to moan about their fret cutters a week or so ago, until I realised I had used them on SS frets.  I was cursing the cutters and didn’t realise I had picked up the wrong wire. :)
    FWIW, I still use Allparts quite often, most of my parts come from there.  I know I don’t have to worry about being sent some Chinese copy of the item I want.  

I find it funny they now stock crimson stuff though
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I bought the stewmac ones but I'm pretty sure it did take several weeks to arrive.

More so than the import duty, what irritated me was that the Royal mail charged an extra 7 quid on top of it which seemed unreasonable to me.

Even with those issues, I will be buying a further set from there soon as none of the ones available in the UK appeal to me at all.

If you do decide to go for stewmac, check my thread about useful items they sell, there are some good suggestions. Might as well make the most of the duty/delivery.
    Yes, they normally offer 2 delivery services.. choose the dhl one if you want it quick 

not don’t it in a while, but dhl’s admin fee on customs used to be more reasonable.  They just sent the parcel straight to you and then a bill for customs would appear a couple of weeks later....sometimes a surprise if you are forgetful :)