Lead guitar to Metal - how

What's Hot
I haven't really listened to much "proper" metal.  I'm much more of a rock kind of guy.  But i got involved in a collab project with a metal band who asked me to play lead over one of their tracks. I've not yet heard back from them about it!  I quite enjoyed doing it but during my composing, I felt like I had no background to pull ideas from and so what came out was just partly what I thought went well and partly me trying to impress them.

Anyway, I wondered if there are any regular metallers on the forum who'd give a bit of feedback about whether what I came up with was fitting/in-keeping-with metal songs or whether it's a classic case of a rocker guitarist playing rock over metal.  cheers

https://youtu.be/knkZE81WjCc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Listen to early Metallica for ideas...lots of ascending fast patterns...   a great start for many...
    ...or Slayer/Pantera for that atonal carefree randomness..

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I haven't really listened to much "proper" metal.  I'm much more of a rock kind of guy.  But i got involved in a collab project with a metal band who asked me to play lead over one of their tracks. I've not yet heard back from them about it!  I quite enjoyed doing it but during my composing, I felt like I had no background to pull ideas from and so what came out was just partly what I thought went well and partly me trying to impress them.

Anyway, I wondered if there are any regular metallers on the forum who'd give a bit of feedback about whether what I came up with was fitting/in-keeping-with metal songs or whether it's a classic case of a rocker guitarist playing rock over metal.  cheers

https://youtu.be/knkZE81WjCc
    sounds like you did a great job, that's really good! Nice and melodic with some flashy stuff, nothing wrong with that at all...and also coming at it from a different musical background is no bad thing  =)
  • It sounds good, quite rock orientated, but not that metal.  

Depending on what the chords are, I would add in a few diminished patterns or harmonic minor runs.  
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    Ok good feedback thanks all.  

I have zero musical training or theory knowledge so I'm gonna have to google what "
    diminished patterns or harmonic minor runs" are!
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited January 2018
    You have got the style and techniques pretty spot on, so just concentrate on the scales that you choose. It could be slightly edgier, as already mentioned.

Here's an example of a great metal harmonic minor solo (fast forward to 3:54)

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4088
    They pluck way too fast for me