The REAL chords for Evil by Interpol

What's Hot
I play this cover with my band but I'm absolutely positive I'm playing the wrong opening chord for the main riff.

Every cover I've seen plays a power chord F at the 8th fret, but it's definitely not that on the record. Youtube clips of the original look like some kind of 5th fret chord stretched to the 8th with the little finger, but I can't work out what it is. 

Does anyone know what the chords are for the main riff? I'm wondering if I've actually got them all wrong, not just the first one.

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Thanks @Freebird, but it's the main chords I'm looking for, which starts at 0:41 on this video: 

It may be something similar to this chord near the end of the song:

https://cl.ly/3A1v2S2G3M0J

or this one:

https://cl.ly/293u0d2Y3V00

Does that help?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited January 2018
    I'm probably going to make a prat of myself by completely miss hearing it, but here's my thoughts (below). Don't blame me if you get sacked for playing the wrong chords

https://i.imgur.com/qrZ9AxV.png

It's not a competition.
    Thanks @stratman3142! Looks good to me. I was dreading it might be that F as I can never get my little finger there quick enough.

So do you think the chord shown below is also Bb ma7, but with his little finger on the 8th fret again?

edited January 2018
    The maj 7 in the Bb chord is the note I'm least sure about. At first I just heard F  Bb  Am  Dm. Then I noticed his hand position and tried the A note (i.e. the maj 7 of Bb) and it added a nice spice, effectively creating an A pedal note throughout the chord progression. But that's speculation on my part. I'm not sure many people would notice.

The chord in your latest clip looks like it might be a similar fingering but with the little finger on the 8th fret as you describe. However, I think it might be functioning as a F/C chord (i.e. F second inversion), as I think he might just be playing the lower notes. Again, I'm speculating.

Not sure if anyone else has any thoughts?

It's not a competition.
    Thanks @stratman3142 ; that's really useful. I've been playing the full song all with barre chords but it's never sounded right, so definitely keen to try out your suggestion later. And of course, yes, if anyone else had any thoughts, definitely let me know!

edited January 2018
    Thanks @stratman3142 , tried it in rehearsal on Sunday and worked a treat! 

edited January 2018
    ijonty said:
    Thanks @stratman3142 , tried it in rehearsal on Sunday and worked a treat! 

Good to know. So you didn't get sacked for playing the chords I suggested. That's a relief

It's not a competition.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    ijonty said:
    some kind of 5th fret chord stretched to the 8th with the little finger
    Possibly a C shaped barre chord? (I've not read all the thread/viewed the video/listened to the song so this may be late/redundant/wrong :) )

R.