Parlour guitars

What's Hot
I've been after a parlour guitar for a while now, but I'm trying to narrow down a decent budget one. Looking at either Gretsch Jim Dandy or Fender CP60, unless there is another one I'm overlooking? Advice would be great. 
"Pick your noses up!"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nope. Get the Jim Dandy, be happy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2440
    Always liked the Washburn one. Really cool looking vibe. Bit of money though. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Ok, slightly more helpfully... 
    I did a tour of my local guitar shops looking for a small acoustic-

Faith Naked Mercury is a brilliant (all solid) parlour guitar for VERY reasonable money. 

Sigma do some lovely Martin copies in various body sizes. 

Vintage acoustics are excellent, particularly the V300mh and Paul Brett signature models. 

Jim Dandy is brilliant, great to play and has that boxy sound you associate with early blues. 

I bought the Faith as one popped up on Gumtree for a bargain price, if it hadn't I would certainly have bought the Gretsch- it has SO much character, is well built etc & even for the RRP it's a bargain. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    The good thing these days is low end doesn't mean crap any more all the established brands are coming out with some really decent stuff, tanglewood are pretty good in the small guitar dept, bit for me I would go 2nd hand, you will have a shed load more choice :D as Ross above said the washburn parlours are fantastic,
    I have a k yairi parlour which sounds like a full acoustic :) 
  • Ok, slightly more helpfully... 

Faith Naked Mercury is a brilliant (all solid) parlour guitar for VERY reasonable money. 

Vintage acoustics are excellent, particularly the V300mh and Paul Brett signature models. 

Jim Dandy is brilliant, great to play and has that boxy sound you associate with early blues. 

I bought the Faith as one popped up on Gumtree for a bargain price, if it hadn't I would certainly have bought the Gretsch- it has SO much character, is well built etc & even for the RRP it's a bargain. 
    That's why I think  the Gretsch will be better, I'm looking for that Robert Johnson type sound, it seems to fit what I'm looking for. It all hinges on whether I can get a case as well, as I'll be travelling with it too. 
    "Pick your noses up!"
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited January 2018
    I did list one for £350.
    But it's a vintage 1950's Italian Parlour.
    Sounds like this.

It's called a Carmelo by an Italian company called Catania, built in Italy.
  • The thing about my one is, it's rare and sounds nice...
    I'm in 2 minds about selling it tbh.
  • SIGMA..................NUFF SAID.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4184
    edited January 2018
    People speak highly of the Loar brand parlours for county blues, although I haven’t tried one myself.
  • Jim Dandy FTW :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Beware that the Jim Dandy has a very unique sound compared to other small budget guitars. Make sure you can get your hands on one and make sure you like it. 

I expected to like it and really didn’t. 
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Tried both the Gretsch Jim Dandy and the Fender CP60...bought the Fender. Both sound very similar I just preferred the neck on the Fender. Lovely comfortable guitar to play.
  • Thanks for all the replies. I think a trip to Andertons is in order, as that is the only store within a decent distance that has both guitars. 
    "Pick your noses up!"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    The Paul Brett parlor by ' vintage' is worth a look . Alvarez also make a nice one sorry i don't know the model numbers. 
  • Just gonna throw Takemine New Yorker into the mix... Just because!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Vintage V880N.  Good and very cheap, especially second hand.
  • Another vote for Tanglewood played a couple of corkers in their parlour range
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I keep an Alvarez parlour at work (AP66SHB) 

Great wee guitar 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    strat1990 said:
    Ok, slightly more helpfully... 

That's why I think  the Gretsch will be better, I'm looking for that Robert Johnson type sound, it seems to fit what I'm looking for. It all hinges on whether I can get a case as well, as I'll be travelling with it too. 
    If it's the Robert Johnson type sound you're after try out an Art & Lutherie Roadhouse, in the reviews it states it does that early blues finger style really well. It's been on my radar for a while, I may just talk myself into buying one!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Ok, slightly more helpfully... 

Very impressive little guitar.