How do you get this synth sound?

I love this old skool synth sound that turns up in a lot of Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis tunes.  I'm wondering how I can best recreate it in Logic Pro X?  I know nothing about sound design so I will need quite a few pointers.  I just have the basic synths that come with Logic Pro X, I didn't invest in any new ones as I'm not a keyboard player or into synths,  just this one sound.

You can hear the stabs at the start of this tune:

Same synth sound is in 1999:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    Try searching for Oberheim plugins. There are some free ones about.
    Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • FatPete said:
    Try searching for Oberheim plugins. There are some free ones about.
    I have OB-Xb plugin. I don't know where to go from there to be honest.  i have no ideas about synths, how do I go about getting this sound?
    I'd be surprised if there wasn't a suitable preset in there already. I think it's just a doubled (or more) brassy sawtooth type sound with loads of heavy/fast modulation (vibrato) on the mod wheel. No patch listed called '1999' or something?
  • FatPete said:
    I'd be surprised if there wasn't a suitable preset in there already. I think it's just a doubled (or more) brassy sawtooth type sound with loads of heavy/fast modulation (vibrato) on the mod wheel. No patch listed called '1999' or something?
    No I don't see one. It does have the Van Halen Jump sound though!

I'm gonna download Synth1 too, it has something like 25000 presets available online.
    FatPete said:

I'm gonna download Synth1 too, it has something like 25000 presets available online.
    Maybe try calming the Jump sound down a bit with EQ and increase the 2nd oscillator detune.
  • FatPete said:
    FatPete said:

Maybe try calming the Jump sound down a bit with EQ and increase the 2nd oscillator detune.
    OK thanks, I'll give that a shot.
  • Damn, 4 different patches - i have no chance!

Do you think the Cherrelle synth sound uses the same technique?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited January 2018
    It would be useful to clarify whether Fink means four layers of OB-8. (A JJ&TL favourite, by all accounts.)

To synth enthusiasts of a certain age, the expression "four voice" suggests an Obie S.E.M. type synthesizer. On these, each voice module has its own control set. In this instance, "four different patches" could just mean four variations on the same basic idea with detuning and some envelope control over pitch.

The similarity of the sound on the two songs suggests either a factory preset or that one session keyboardist was hired for both recordings.

Be seeing you.