JHS Bonsai: 9 Tubescreamer variants in one.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GazMozGazMoz Frets: 26
    I like it. Though it is pretty pointless because you'll find 1 or 2 that you like and stick with em. But if you're unsure which TS is for you I suppose it's a good idea. Although most of them sound very similar.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Sporky said:
    Octafish said:
    You'd think for £219 they would have made the effort to upgrade that crappy white washer on the bypass switch to a steel one. Shitty LED position as well, you can't see it when your foot's on the switch.
    The plastic one doesn't mark the paint and is thus the better solution.
    Only relevant if it's a cheapo paint job. I've used metal washers on powder coated enclosures for my DIY builds with no issue at all as have many manufacturers. Besides I bet the input/output sockets have metal washers on them.

https://thumbs.static-thomann.de/thumb/bdbmagic/pics/bdb/352039/9613434_800.jpg

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    best pedal idea in years, this is pretty much a fantasy pedal for me, very excited by this. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Boromedic said:
    This is from TGP about the same thing might help:

IThere are multiple component swaps being done at the same time as each version is truly independent of the others with a minimal amount of shared paths.

Aye, right you are.

The switching inside may be clever but its switching between 9 tubescreamers. Woop-de-fuckin'-do. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Boromedic said:

IThere are multiple component swaps being done at the same time as each version is truly independent of the others with a minimal amount of shared paths.

Aye, right you are.

The switching inside may be clever but its switching between 9 tubescreamers. Woop-de-fuckin'-do. 
      I'm really looking forward to the gutshots on this one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Andy’s use of classic riffs is perfection!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4781
    Boromedic said:

Aye, right you are.

So much love! It would be a lot bigger pedal if there were other overdrives in there though. Hopefully its the start of similar pedals with more flexibility.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• darcym said:
    best pedal idea in years, this is pretty much a fantasy pedal for me, very excited by this. 

Can't tell if serious or not... :) 

I've a/b'd ts808 and ts9 before and couldn't hear any meaningful difference (apparently the circuits are actually effectively the same). I know there was the ts7 in the sound tank range (not tried that) and the ts10 (actually different) but what on earth are the others?!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26977
    darcym said:

I've a/b'd ts808 and ts9 before and couldn't hear any meaningful difference (apparently the circuits are actually effectively the same). I know there was the ts7 in the sound tank range (not tried that) and the ts10 (actually different) but what on earth are the others?!
    I asssume SD1, a Maxon or two, and probably a couple of boutique TS-copies?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4781
    From the JHS webpage... No Maxons but the circuit is the same anyway:

The 9 pedals we have chosen...

OD-1 - 1977
    An overall brighter and slightly higher gain mode that does not utilize the Tone knob. This mode also inverts signal just like the original and has symmetrical clipping. The OD-1 is magical at boosting other drives or amps into singing saturation.

TS-808 - 1979
    The classic low gain with that signature pronounced mid range.

TS-9 - 1982
    Nearly identical to the TS-808 but with a slightly more pushed low-mid range.

MSL, Power or L Series - 1985
    Though metal is in the name, this sound doesn’t quite inspire the modern metal djent we think of.  Still it has a higher gain sound with a more low end and an overall more gooey feel.

TS-10 - 1986
    Made famous by John Mayer, this model is a slight upgrade from the TS9 for the late ’80s. Bluesy, crisp, more low end roll off and low gain.

Exar OD-1 1989
    The EXAR is a Polish made TS-style pedal that has a slightly different drive character with a little more gain than the classic screamers as well as a slightly more transparent feel.

TS-7 (+mode) - 1999
    The hot mode on this version gives you the highest gain sound in the Bonsai. More low end and dirt fill out the tone to have you shredding away.

Keeley Mod Plus - 2002
    Robert Keeley’s classic mod tightens up the tone on the original giving you smoother mid range and high frequencies, and increased bass response.

JHS Strong Mod - 2008
    Our own mod we’ve been doing since 2008 is much cleaner and overall more powerful. The mode has more pronounced higher nd low end drop offs.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    darcym said:

sorry, I was serious, I love tube screamers I use them loads, I have a ton of them and they sound very similar at a base level, but have differences and those differences are some times more obvious in different settings and volumes, and sometimes with gear, sometimes it's a feel / response factor which I'm hoping this pedal will also offer if it's replicating the pedal, not the sound. 

There are also some harder to find variations, or some great pedals that a prone to fail due to cheap build quality, so hopefully these have been addressed. For me as a tube screamer fan / lover I'm excited by this pedal, but you've got to love tubes creamers to appreciate it or wonder about it, if you just use them for the boost or "rounding" style of an already driven amp, I guess this will be the biggest waste of time and money for you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7416
    haha

so devoid of creative purpose they can't even decide which tiny variation to get behind, so stick LOTS of other people's shit in a box.

Bravo.

I'll pass. 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

Anyone picked one of these up?

I've been playing around on an EHX East River Drive and realised I LOVE this TS 'sound'...

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    The sort of pedal I'd play to see which variant I liked before going out and just buying that one. The idea that someone might be setting it on TS10 for one song and then change it to TS808 mode for the next is absurd. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5138
    I guess the muff thing he did sold well, so it's just applying that concept to a different pedal. Klon next?

Have there been many variations on the Klon? I thought it was pretty much the one circuit...
    That was sort of the point :)

It would be awesome if they could make one where the box changed from silver to gold at the flick of a switch.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• If Ibanez made this youd all be pissing your pants 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    I think the bonsai graphic is kinda cool - a tree of circuit board connections.