2018 Running Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    14 miles on road on Saturday. 28.4 miles off road on Sunday doing a recce of the North Downs way complete with 3100feet of hills. Very hot on both days. Legs feeling good. Back out on the North Downs this coming weekend to recce the last part of the route for my race in August and get some specific on course training.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    5km Monday and 4 miles today. Particularly happy with 8:22/mile average today given it was hot at lunch and the run consisted of running up a large hill and back down the other side
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    joneve said:
    5km Monday and 4 miles today. Particularly happy with 8:22/mile average today given it was hot at lunch and the run consisted of running up a large hill and back down the other side
    Good pace :)

edited July 2018
    mcsdan said:
    joneve said:
    Good pace

Cheers. I'll be nowhere near that for my 1/2 leg of the tri in a few weeks, but nice to get some shorter, quicker runs in. Anywhere around 9:30 or 10m miles on the day I'd be happy with. 

Legs are really starting to feel it recently, very achy shins due to tight calves. Trying to diligently roller and stretch them every day, which helps, but my legs are definitely getting more work than they ever have, poor things D 

Got a sports massage next week to help and then another booked a few days before my Tri, just so I'm as loose as I can be. 

Casual 13.1 miles this morning. Legs definitely feeling it now. 
    Somehow managed another 5 miles this morning. 80 miles in the last 3 week’s. I need 20 miles this week to reach my 100-miles-in-4-weeks goal.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Light week for me, I skipped parkrun to take my dog to fat fighters. Not really, he went for a check-up and had actually lost weight due to feeling too hot and not eating much lately.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    Light week for me, I skipped parkrun to take my dog to fat fighters. Not really, he went for a check-up and had actually lost weight due to feeling too hot and not eating much lately.
    ours is still eating but not liking the heat too much either. :( 

Just done another 5 miles. If I can somehow do 9 miles before Saturday, I'll surpass 100 miles in 4 weeks on my brick run Saturday morning. 

Knocked out 4.5 miles last night as well as the 5 miles at lunch.

Legs didn't thank me afterwards! But only 10 and a half miles to do before sunday to reach my goal and 6.2 of those should come on Saturday morning all being well. 

(sorry to keeping carrying on about it - using this thread as a bit of a tracker/motivation)
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Nice one. 5 miles today and 5 miles yesterday, running through the gloriously rancid early morning streets of Newport, the smell of the extremely tidal River Usk a constant companion. :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    joneve said:
    Knocked out 4.5 miles last night as well as the 5 miles at lunch.

Legs didn't thank me afterwards! But only 10 and a half miles to do before sunday to reach my goal and 6.2 of those should come on Saturday morning all being well. 

(sorry to keeping carrying on about it - using this thread as a bit of a tracker/motivation)
    Well done @joneve keep it going.
    15 miles (3 runs) so far this week. I'm in taper now for next race on 4th Aug. North Downs Way.

Going well towards 2018 (miles) for 2018.

=1104m/1776km
    mcsdan said:
    15 miles (3 runs) so far this week. I'm in taper now for next race on 4th Aug. North Downs Way.

Going well towards 2018 (miles) for 2018.

=1104m/1776km
    incredible numbers! good work. 

My taper for my race on August 5th starts officially next week. Got one last long ride to recce the bike course on Saturday, and then I'll just be on 3-5 mile runs and a couple of work commutes leading up. 
    Thanks.

Tapering is the hardest thing to get right!
    mcsdan said:
    Thanks.

Tapering is the hardest thing to get right!
    I've never really done it, so I'm just taking a loose, relaxed approach that I don't want my legs/body to be tired on the day, but also want to ensure they keep loose in the mean time, so a few short runs a week leading up should be fine, compared to the volume I've been doing the last few weeks!
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Good going @joneve ;

Manage 8.8km today. Have a lunchtime run on Friday at Canary Wharf planned so didn't want to push myself too much but really enjoyed it. Bit of sun, but not too hot, just right.
    quarky said:
    Good going @joneve ;

Manage 8.8km today. Have a lunchtime run on Friday at Canary Wharf planned so didn't want to push myself too much but really enjoyed it. Bit of sun, but not too hot, just right.
    Thanks mate. I can imagine a lunchtime run round CW would be quite pleasant if the weather's nice! 

Another 4.5 miles last night. So I'm a 10km run away from my 100 mile goal..which hopefully, barring any injury (lets hope not with my race in less than 3 weeks!) I'll surpass on Saturday morning as I have a 10km brick run planned. 
    5.2 mile run yesterday after a 73 mile cycle; followed by a 3.1 mile run today. 

100 mile goal reached :D
    5 miles this morning before work.
    joneve said:
    5.2 mile run yesterday after a 73 mile cycle; followed by a 3.1 mile run today. 

100 mile goal reached :D
    Well done joneve :)