2018 Running Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Got a PB on yesterdays 5k Parkrun! 22.25.

Not bad for an old man of 55 with hip and knee arthritis!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited June 2018
    Bloody good! Well done.

I beat you though. ;) 22:19, I was amazed. The pacers helped this week, that and the fact that the 22-minute pacer started too slow and was always sort of in reach.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Bloody good! Well done.

I beat you though. ;) 22:19, I was amazed. The pacers helped this week, that and the fact that the 22-minute pacer started too slow and was always sort of in reach.
    Well done. I want to find a flat parkrun, mine has 4 hills. I hate the hills!
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    mcsdan said:

So you'd try to run between 165-173bpm.

Obviously you need to know your resting and max HR.

In a session the more time you spend in these ranges the better the stimulus. It is very easy to go off too fast and be too high or run too slow and not hit the right zone.

Thanks, that is a great help. Had a good run today, went for duration rather than speed, and ran for just over 60min. Still managed a reasonable pace though (5'10"), which is slower than normal, but actually, the same pace as my 30min run last weekend!
    axisus said:
    Bloody good! Well done.

Well done. I want to find a flat parkrun, mine has 4 hills. I hate the hills!
    Now you're just showing off! :)
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    I ran friday lunchtime at work. 5km. Managed to roll both my ankles and the right one swelled up like a golf ball. 

On the bright side, quickest time this year 24:32

just need to get under 24 mins now. 
    First run since turning my ankles over...slow pace but felt good. Managed 5.3 miles and felt I could have gone a lot longer but was with the dog and she was on struggle street towards the end of the run because of the heat, so called it a day. 
    I increased my mid week runs from 3 to 4, and suffered a bit in the parkrun. 29 miles for the week though, I'll try to maintain that and see what happens.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Now doing three runs a week rather than two. Aiming for two short midweek (~6km) and a longer weekend one. 
    Another run last night 4 miles with the dog - was still hot at 7pm, which sucked, but enjoyable nonetheless. 
    going to try and run 100 miles over the next 28 days with a few longer runs to prep me for my half iron at the start of august. 

ideally want to try and run most days too, even if it's a couple of miles. I appreciate my legs will feel weary, but I want to try and get them used to running tired! 

But the main aim is 100 miles in a month (I started from Saturday, as I don't want to get to the end of july and only have 5 days before my half iron, so by starting early and doing a month from 23rd June, I can finish 22nd July and still have a good 12 days to taper. 

This is subject to my legs and shins feeling OK.

Planning to do another 5k or so with the dog tonight. 
    Another 4 miles tonight. Kept it slow-ish again, so legs felt ok, so that’s 14 miles in 3 days. May have a day off tomorrow as I’m commuting to work in this ridonk heat. Leaves me 26 days to do 86 miles. Nice and doable. 
    edited June 2018
    Wish I hadn't run this morning. Only 5 coaches on my train, and because the Severn tunnel is shut the next station from Newport is Swindon, about 1 hour 20 away.

Edit: forgot to say I was standing. However all is now well, I have a seat.
    Wish I hadn't run this morning. Only 5 coaches on my train, and because the Severn tunnel is shut the next station from Newport is Swindon, about 1 hour 20 away.

Edit: forgot to say I was standing. However all is now well, I have a seat.
    :D 

Another 4 miles this morning early doors with the dog, after a day off yesterday (although I did commute 12 miles to work and back on my bike). 

Hopefully going to get another 5km or so in tonight with the dog once it cools a bit (so 10pm then!). Just concentrating on getting miles in legs at the mo - hopefully get a longer (8 or 9 miles) run in at the weekend. 
    It was worse on the way home. Again only 5 coaches, and I was standing for 2 hours all the way to Newport.

Still, I did 5 more miles this morning, so I've shifted the rest day to Thursday in the hope that Parkrun will be easier or faster.
    This is my thinking - I'm hoping that if I over train now, once I give me legs time to rest, that it will help the longer run after a 3 hour cycle seem a bit easier. 
    Another 4 miles with the dog at stupid o'clock last night (once it had finally cooled a smidge)...I've never done two runs in a day. 

Still somehow managed to smash my best cycle to work time this morning though. 

• Jeepers, some really impressive achievements on here. I’ve just this morning finished week 3 of C25k having not done any form of running since high school some 26 or so years ago. 

I’m hoovering up all the information I can get for any form of tips, hence me diving into this thread. I can’t say that I’m finding C25k in any way easy but I am enjoying the challenge. I’m getting a bit of pain in my feet so I do think that I need to get some decent running shoes and possibly have a gait analysis done. Hopefully, I’ll be posting stats like some of yours one day!
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Welcome :)

Yes, go to a proper running shop and get a GAIT analysis. Most will charge (about £10) but will often include for free if buying the recommended trainers. Worth supporting your local shop and getting feet sorted.

For c25k biggest tip I can give is to slow it down. You should feel like you can have a conversation whilst running. If you can only get a word or 2 out in between breaths then too hard, if you feel like you could sing then too slow. Cover the time/distance first then worry about speed once you've got you 5k done.

Have a days rest in between each run if you can. As a beginner if you run 2 days in a row the 2nd run can feel alot harder and puts a bit more strain on the muscles. So days rest in between if you can.

Post up your runs once you;ve done them :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Many thanks for that @mcsdan . I’m with it on the taking it slow, what I do is more of a stumble forward than a run! There’s a shop not too far away that offers gait analysis so I’m going to head there once funds allow.

I do a ‘run’ every other day and, on the days between, I tend to do a session of Yoga (YRG/DDP yoga) in order to stretch and to incorporate some strength exercises. 

I start week 4 on Monday - I’m already going thinking about the 5 minute run with a mixture of dread and anticipation...!
    Many thanks for that @mcsdan . I’m with it on the taking it slow, what I do is more of a stumble forward than a run! There’s a shop not too far away that offers gait analysis so I’m going to head there once funds allow.

I do a ‘run’ every other day and, on the days between, I tend to do a session of Yoga (YRG/DDP yoga) in order to stretch and to incorporate some strength exercises. 

I start week 4 on Monday - I’m already going thinking about the 5 minute run with a mixture of dread and anticipation...!
    How do you find DDP Yoga? I feel like I could be more flexible and heard nothing but good things and seen some incredible results. 

All the best with the C25K. 

Another 4 miles for me this morning, so still on track to do 100 miles in 4 weeks.