What chords are played here?

BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
Hi Chaps

Can anyone please tell me what chords are being played in the backing loop on this video?

I think it's basically variations of A and D but I can't see the guitar it's played on for long enough to work out the exact chords (you see it very briefly right at the start)

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Try D minor 7 and G7.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    edited January 2018
    Pretty much this, you'll need to go drop D. Well you don't, but that's what he does. 

Em6/9 = 2-x-5-4-2-2

Dsus2/G = 5-x-7-7-5-5

Add9 = x-0-7-6-0-0

Very tasty tone and playing!
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited January 2018
    I think the 2nd chord may be 5 (5) 7 7 0 0 and it’s more of a G add9 add13 or something. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited January 2018
    viz said:
    I think the 2nd chord may be 5 (5) 7 7 0 0 and it’s more of a G add9 add13 or something. 
    Well, we agree it's a G type chord smile  however I revise my initial thinking and I'm going for A7sus/G = 5-x-5-7-5-5 instead. Theres a definite A at the top of the chord. I am just going off the first two bars though.
    edited January 2018
    Brad said:
    viz said:
    Well, we agree it's a G type chord smile  however I revise my initial thinking and I'm going for A7sus/G = 5-x-5-7-5-5 instead. Theres a definite A at the top of the chord. I am just going off the first two bars though.
    Me too. 

I’m only listening on my terrible phone loudspeaker but I’m pretty sure I can hear him clipping the open top E string in the strum of the 2nd chord. Also I’d definitely call it some sort of G, because the harmony is pretty clearly E G A A at its most basic level - to my ear anyway. Not that it matters!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Thanks guys, really appreciated! 
    viz said:
    Brad said:
    viz said:
    Me too. 

I’m only listening on my terrible phone loudspeaker but I’m pretty sure I can hear him clipping the open top E string in the strum of the 2nd chord. Also I’d definitely call it some sort of G, because the harmony is pretty clearly E G A A at its most basic level - to my ear anyway. Not that it matters!
    Aye we're in agreement over the function, just the minutiae of how it's played as both work :smile: 
    Brad said:
    viz said:
    Brad said:
    viz said:
    Me too. 

Aye we're in agreement over the function, just the minutiae of how it's played as both work :smile: 
    Cool and absolutely; just on a point of nomenclature then, the “x” in an x/y chord has to refer to the underlying harmonic chord’ root note, whereas the “y” refers to the inversion - ie the lowest note in the chord. So if we both agreed it was fundamentally a G it’d have to be called a “G over something” (or in this case a “G-something” as G is the lowest note), not a “something-over-G”. Or am I talking cross-purposes? (and going off topic - apologies Bristol!)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited January 2018
    I put it under the microscope using Transcribe because I suspect my ears aren't as good as @Brad and @viz ;;;;

After quite a bit of going over it, I think it might be something a bit like this.

https://i.imgur.com/FH6DkbL.png

Below is a link to an audio export from GP7 of the above transciption, which sounds a bit micky mouse, but seems very roughly in the right place.

https://app.box.com/s/x457zqol32f06tf1m73q7fit9q6q3dop

It's not a competition.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    This place is the best. Thanks awfully :) 
    edited January 2018
    I suspect my ears aren't as good as @viz ;;

I very much doubt it!