Composition Challenge #22 - Any Ideas For A Theme

The current composition challenge (#21) runs to the end of February and after that we'll set a new challenge.

The aim is to get as many as possible to participate. Ideas for themes that would encourage people to enter (or at least not put off people from entering) would be welcome.

I quite like the 'off the wall' themes for the challenges but maybe they're not for everyone.

One thought I had was for entrants to create their own themes and reflect that theme in the title of their piece. Then the voters could take account of how well the music (and associated picture) matches the declared title/theme.

Any thoughts?

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    edited February 2018
    As an "off the wall" thought how about this 

Everyone is given the same sequence of notes. It could be from a very well known melody (e.g. the first few bars of Happy Birthday or wherever). That sequence of notes becomes the bass line.

You can arrange the tempo, time signature, rhythm,  chords, melody and genre to whatever you like but the sequence of notes will remain identical for everyone.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited February 2018

Everyone is given the same sequence of notes. It could be from a very well known melody (e.g. the first few bars of Happy Birthday or wherever). That sequence of notes becomes the bass line.

You can arrange the tempo, time signature, rhythm,  chords, melody and genre to whatever you like but the sequence of notes will remain identical for everyone.

Thanks for pitching an idea.

If my memory serves me correctly I think I read that this one has been tried before, but before my time on the forum. I think it was mentioned by one of old hands, perhaps @steamabacus or @Fretwired ;

I found the following previous discussion (link below), but I can't find the thread where I think we had an earlier discussion.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/120283/composition-challenge-20-before-xmas/p1

It's not a competition.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited February 2018

Thanks for pitching an idea.

If my memory serves me correctly I think I read that this one has been tried before, but before my time on the forum. I think it was mentioned by one of old hands, perhaps @steamabacus or @Fretwired ;;

I found the following previous discussion (link below), but I can't find the thread where I think we had an earlier discussion.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/120283/composition-challenge-20-before-xmas/p1

There used to be something called the Guitarist Collective which was run by Adrian Clarke (Guitarist contributor and co-owner of jamtrack.com) - we had a monthly task, similar to this, which used to get very technical. The upside you learned something, the downside you'd sometimes only get two entries.

The suggestion by @flying-pie seems OK to me as you could do virtually anything. From my experience on the Collective and a few other forums I'd ensure that tasks are suitable for beginners as well as intermediate or advanced players. And the trick is always bending the rules ... :-)

Tasks I recall that were popular:

Write a slow melodic ballad for a loved one

Create a national anthem for a new country

Pick your favourite film and write a piece of music about it - could be a new theme tune, or for a sequence in the film (such as a car chase) or inspired by the soundtrack

Write a piece of music in the style of [insert band name] - this could be a free choice or clearly defined

Pick a decade and write a pop tune - it must be melodic - you could have 1960's jangly Beatles style tune, 70's Glam rock or punk, 80's electro Gary Newman/Erasure, 90's grunge/Brit pop etc.

Create an atmospheric guitar piece - no drums allowed

Create a song with just three tracks - @steamabacus might struggle .. :-)

Create a song in a specific key such as A minor

I'm sure others would have suggestions.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    On hold muzack or in the style of a video game. (I.E. repetative and annoying.  I think we can all manage that.)