Another amp recommendation thread... Concluded

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Super Champ X2? Smaller and lighter than the Princeton, has a wide variety of sounds including a BF-voiced clean channel, reverb, direct recording output, is probably louder clean than the Princeton, looks basically like a BF Princeton, and is only about £400 new. The older XD model is not too rare second hand and goes for under £200.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5735
    ........ the drive sounded not too great but suppose that could be better in person..........
    It’s definitely more of a fizzy fuzz than a drive/distortion and absolutely wont be for everyone. If you have pedals for drive it offers something else and is very controllable but not at all a diverse effect. 

I’ll be very interested to hear your thoughts if
    you try one. It might have a lot in common on paper with your Princeton (size, speaker, amount of noise it will produce) but it’s really just a nice toy amp in comparison. 
  • Or does anywhere do a 1x12 cab with 2u rack space within it for a preamp and power amp? Could not find them when I looked but searching for rack Mount cabinets brings up only IT furniture

Edit : adding the word guitar to the search was key, they do exist albeit without speakers at the one I've looked at just now so would need some further spend and work
    www.gear-stream.com/venue-1x12-double-rack-space/
  • Yeah that's the one :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic

• I find the ‘65 perfect for home with a pedal, would be easy enough to change to ‘65 specs, just a couple of components but dramatically changes the sound of the amp.

The DV Mark little Jazz sounds great.

Superchamp X2 is also really good.

Laney VC10 is a reasonable sounding little amp.

There were a few MJW Roadstar combo’s floating around recently at great prices with power scalling which could be a great option, if not too big.  

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    edited February 2018
    Egnator Tweaker 15? Cheap, Versatile and has a great master volume.
  • I've listened to the Tweaker a few times on YouTube the last few days and have been very impressed!! Just gotta hope you don't get one work an exploding transformer by the sound of it

The current hit list is:
    Egnater Tweaker
    Superchamp x2
    Jet City Custom 22
    Orange Crush 35rt
    Vox Night Train (the newer series with fx loop or reverb)

Might get chance to go to PMT tomorrow so will see what I can try out, though not in a position to buy unless it's an unmissable bargain as the Princeton isn't shifting

Thank you all for the ideas, I'll see what comes of it all

Cheers

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I haven’t heard of a Tweaker (or any other Egnater model, it wasn’t the only one) with an exploding transformer for a while, so I think they’ve probably fixed it given how well-known the problem was. They do sound good, and as Exorcist says the controls work properly at low volume too.

No reverb on the Tweaker though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Oh brilliant thanks John as always, it'd just be my luck for that to happen to be honest. It has no reverb but I think it has a loop into which I could put my DigiTech Polara so that would be all good
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    Jazz Chorus 22? I have one for sale atm. It certainly ticks all your boxes.
  • JezWynd said:
    Yeah if I lived near where you are I would have tried to give it a spin but I'm rather too far away sadly. I liked the official demo video. I was a bit dubious that the wattage and small speakers would be loud enough for playing in public though as that's what it would be used for - have you used it for that?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
    edited February 2018
    Thank you all who contributed with suggestions and thoughts, it is appreciated. I have tried some amps but as nothing seemed to float my boat I have inevitably concluded the problem is with me and not the kit so I shall be pessimistically continuing to sell my existing stuff and put the money away for something more useful (non guitar related)

But genuinely I am grateful folks, thank you
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 797
    edited February 2018
    From what you’ve said it does sound like the Princeton should do the job for the sounds you’re after, even playing at home, with the right pedals and a bit of experimentation. My home (and away, and indeed only) amp is a 65 DRRI (lightly and cheaply modded for reverb on both channels and Cannabis Rex speaker which I bought second hand on the forum) - I basically use it as a pedal platform, and the literally only difference between home and loud playing is how much treble, bass and presence (bright channel blend) I dial in on the amp. 

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    edited February 2018
    JezWynd said:
    Yeah if I lived near where you are I would have tried to give it a spin but I'm rather too far away sadly. I liked the official demo video. I was a bit dubious that the wattage and small speakers would be loud enough for playing in public though as that's what it would be used for - have you used it for that?
    No, I haven't used it live but I think you're right - it's not up to live use (though it does have line out). It's best thought of as a practice amp.

Have you considered getting a decent attenuator for your Princeton?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
    edited February 2018
    JezWynd said:
    JezWynd said:
    No, I haven't used it live but I think you're right - it's not up to live use (though it does have line out). It's best thought of as a practice amp.

Have you considered getting a decent attenuator for your Princeton?

I have one, I just don't like the amp. I think my waffly posts may have confused the original brief, but I needed something for playing in public not for home, I don't think any amp would work in my small spare room. But it's ok, I don't think it's something I need to worry about now
  • Thank you all who contributed with suggestions and thoughts, it is appreciated. I have tried some amps but as nothing seemed to float my boat I have inevitably concluded the problem is with me and not the kit so I shall be pessimistically continuing to sell my existing stuff and put the money away for something more useful (non guitar related)

But genuinely I am grateful folks, thank you
    Are you packing in playing for a while then mate ?
  • AltoAlto Frets: 8
    @thecolourbox ;
    I see DV has been suggested along this thread and I'd be up for a trade if you change your mind. I have a DV Mark Little Jazz Combo Guitar Amp. It's def a dark sound, really enjoyable for clean, warm jazz tones and sounds great with my 339. I've played out a little with it and for low volume gigging it's OK (and very light) but really it's for home use for me. No faff, plug in and play. I would def suggest playing one before considering though as its obviously very different to the Fender 68! I really like it, but would also like to get my mitts on a 68 :)