Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

MultiFX for 4-cable-method, but with analogue distortion?

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
Currently using an aging (and quite basic) Boss ME-5. It's front end is fine (old Boss circuits, it seems), but the digital stuff is underwhelming. I'd like something newer that combines a good-sounding analogue front end, the Send/Return sockets for 4-cable-method and then a more modern digital FX section.

Is there such a thing? Most of the current ones seem to be all-digital, with modelling for the distortion and compression.

Suggestions please!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I believe the G-System had analogue distortion but its menu system is from the dark ages. Mind you, if you're used to an ME-5 it might not be so bad!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28140
    The ME-5 was excellent. Some really excellent thick soupy reverbs.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The Boss GT-5 is like this - the "pedal" section uses analogue distortion, although the "preamp" section is COSM - but it's also getting old now. The GT-3 might be too - oddly, it came out after the GT-5, not before - but I'm not certain. After that I'm fairly sure it's all COSM.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I believe the G-System had analogue distortion but its menu system is from the dark ages. Mind you, if you're used to an ME-5 it might not be so bad!
    The G-System didn’t have any distortion circuit, it provided loops to run external overdrive/distortion pedals. Its the Nova System that has the overdrive/distortion circuits, however you can’t run it using the 4 cable method.
    The G-System didn’t have any distortion circuit, it provided loops to run external overdrive/distortion pedals. Its the Nova System that has the overdrive/distortion circuits, however you can’t run it using the 4 cable method.
    G Systems were usually shipped with a Nova Drive if I remember correctly which was controllable via the menu system on the G which might be a shout
  • Ah, thanks @kennedydream1980 I was mixing them up.
  • ICBM said:
    The Boss GT-5 is like this - the "pedal" section uses analogue distortion, although the "preamp" section is COSM - but it's also getting old now. The GT-3 might be too - oddly, it came out after the GT-5, not before - but I'm not certain. After that I'm fairly sure it's all COSM.
    Yep. GT-3 came out after GT-5, removed a bit of real estate and the reverse delay, and was the last Boss multiFX unit to have analogue distortion. 

• How "multi"? What about something like a TRex Soulmate? Has an effects loop for 4CM or other effects:

http://www.t-rex-effects.com/soulmate/
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    ICBM said:
    Yep. GT-3 came out after GT-5, removed a bit of real estate and the reverse delay, and was the last Boss multiFX unit to have analogue distortion. 
    I had a Boss GT3. I loved it's build quality and fx but the cosm amp models were very digital and the distortions were not particularly good either, hence I sold it.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Thanks all - lots of YT trawling ahead. Wondering if the Boss GT-n type would be a significant step forward over the ME-5?

That NUX is the most interesting of the lot (at first glance, anyway) - and hands-on easy, too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    goldtop said:
    Thanks all - lots of YT trawling ahead. Wondering if the Boss GT-n type would be a significant step forward over the ME-5?
    In terms of programmability and number of effects, yes. In terms of quality of basic tone, not so much.

The ME-5 does have serious shortcomings - especially the lack of EQ on the distortion module, so you always need to use the EQ with it rather than separately - but really does sound good for such an old unit.

Also don’t rule out the later COSM units - I’m currently using an ME-50, which has at least a couple of overdrive and distortion settings which are *better* than the analogue equivalents. Unfortunately it doesn’t support 4CM.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited February 2018
    Any of the Boss GT series from GT3 onwards allowed 4 cable connectivity.  But here's a thought - why do you need 4CM? That's only relevant if you want to use your amps natural gain.  If you want good amp models and distortions, although these are not 4 cable compatible, check out the Vox Tonelabs.  If you're a home player the Tonelab ST and EX could be ideal and can be picked up really cheaply - and both sound great even in front of an amp.  The tubes aren't a gimmick and really help these units sound more organic, warmer and more valve-like. The EX has stomp/pre-set switching options and greater flexibility with 2 pedal sections including an Energiser pedal which is really good too.  Global EQ allows adjustment for different amps or going direct through a PA or headphones. But if you are a gigging player and want more comprehensive parameter control & on-stage switching control, with patch-naming, then the older TLLE or TLSE are the better option.

This was me and my daughter done with the little TLST:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Digital distortion has come a long way and can sound great!

And alot of studios and music produced nowadays use digital compression. There's absolutely nothing wrong with digital compression in my opinion.

Don't limit yourself if you're looking for a Multi FX! 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Hey doesn't that Mooer Red Truck use analogue dirt and offer 4cm...pretty sure it does ya know. Go research dat fing
  • Yeah, Red Truck and the Nux Cerberus look very similar. I get the sense that people seem to rate the distortions of the Nux higher. Also the Nux has midi so you can use it to control other things, if that is helpful...
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Agreed - both seem user friendly. I like the knobby interface and won't even use patch memories.

@Voxman - yes, I definitely want 4CM (I have lots of FX-loop valve amps to hook up). Main one will be the Guytron.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

would you new helix effects unit be any good? got loops for 4cm, and could put some single analogue dirt pedals in the loops?

more expensive than the other options mind...

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    ^^if one is not adverse to using dirt pedals as well as...you can use most of em out there then in that case!

• Use two distortions in Loop 1 & 2 & move amp in effects send to loop 3 by the looks of it.