kt66kt66 Frets: 315
edited May 2019 in Acoustics

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Lol.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    lol

But he could have cut that short at the 1'00" mark.

The D-28 just sounds better than any of the others.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like this guy. He's definitely right about the D28, you know... :)

He's right about the Taylor, too. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    The Taylor did sound good, much better than I expected - probably my outright second choice there - and if he needs a giggable electro-acoustic it would cover that. The other Martins I found rather disappointing, especially - although it’s an unfair comparison really because the room and probably the mic were different - the D-18.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Nah, I didn't like the Taylor at all. I don't mind them in real life, just his sounded meh. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Nah, I didn't like the Taylor at all. I don't mind them in real life, just his sounded meh. 
    I thought it was fine, although not particularly distinctive which is normal for a Taylor. It was the other Martins I didn't like - the D-41 sounded bland, the J-41 thin, and the 000-18 a bit dull. The D-18 sounded trashy and tinny, but it could just have been the room. I wouldn't buy it regardless of whether I owned the other ones or not!

• LewyLewy Frets: 4194
    I’m pretty sure this is a chap who’s often on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum and that D28 has had the full Bryan Kimsey treatment...so neck set, bridge placement and brace scallop. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    what I saw in that vid was a display of affluence from an amateur player who's only hope of getting attention is videoing himself talking about his possessions - I bet he thanks gad as well.
    Americans love talking about how many in their 'stable' etc, quite cringe  worthy.
    Remember the recent vid of the company boss doing a 'road show' and pulls a guy outa the audience and talks to his wife on the phone - blah blah blah - setup is what I smell - but they wanted to believe it and loved it over there.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4194
    AliGorie said:
    what I saw in that vid was a display of affluence from an amateur player who's only hope of getting attention is videoing himself talking about his possessions - I bet he thanks gad as well.
    Americans love talking about how many in their 'stable' etc, quite cringe  worthy.
    Remember the recent vid of the company boss doing a 'road show' and pulls a guy outa the audience and talks to his wife on the phone - blah blah blah - setup is what I smell - but they wanted to believe it and loved it over there.

Have you tried yoga, Al? ...get some of this angst out :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    na Lewy - thanks for u’r concern but it wouldn’t help,
    I try to keep ‘my angst’ and resultant outbursts under control or at least to a minimum on here - cause I like the forum and people on it, this is me at my mildest.
    The vid is a ‘Humble Brag’ -
    “Ugh, I Hate Having All These Guitars”
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    To me it came across as "I've got GAS like everybody else." I thought there was enough humour in it to make it not seem show-offy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorie said:

I've gotta be honest... I really didn't see it that way. I think he was mildly taking the mickey out of his own gas ie he's got some nice stuff that he's happy with, but - like so many of us - he gets seduced by the idea of yet another guitar.

However... with regard to gad... if he's got Steve Gadd accompanying him on the skins - he definitely gets my respect. ;-)

edited February 2018
    thnx for helping me out guys -
    the GAS thing I just don't get, we discussed this a while back on here, if anything it's an it's MAS I suffer from - always trying to develop my music composition and to some degree my playing though it;s a bit late in the day for that.
    I've nothing against people 'collecting' (anything) and don't detect the slightest bit of jealousy in myself for people who do, for me a guitar is a means to an end - playing music on and attempting to express ones self through being 'musical'. Ultimately entertaining other people (locally) who enjoy music but cant 'DO' it, that's what I enjoy most.
    Dont get me wrong, if I wanted to play - say like e.g. Lewy -  I'd get myself a National steel and work at it till I thought it was 'performance ready' and go out and play, do my bit in the community  - that's the only reason I'd acquire another guitar - to play on it, that said -I don't have enough time left to get that good.
    sorry for going on guys.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    AliGorie said:

I don't have enough time left to get that good.
    Yep, same for the rest of us, which is why we focus obsessively on gear. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ah this is better -

AliGorie said:
    ah this is better -

[Jai Sang Ma]
    Would still have sounded better on the D-28 :).

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Fwiw I love my D18 :)

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited February 2018
    I nearly bought one on Saturday sounded better than the old style D28 in the shop by a good margin. 

The *best* sounding Martin that day unfortunately had a cowboy painted on the top, a 000-18 LE.
    ah, here we go -
    well I wont let that phazer me - I got a far east NitraM 'camping' guitar for a few hundred - I can do all my usual solo stuff on it and on one gives a hoot what it is, they still enjoy the music though (I hope).
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    #11 Guilds are better  =)