Steely Dan ~ Kid Charlemagne

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited February 2018 in Technique
Steely Dan ~ Kid Charlemagne

from Rick Beato's new series:  What Makes This Song Great?

Duration 17:47
https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKIC9zbSJoE

Duration 4:40
https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ9Xk-VoGqo

R.I.P. Walter Becker ~ 20 Feb 1950 to 3 Sept 2017

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    this is a great series he is putting together, I listened to to this one today, I really liked the blink182 song, not a fan of the song at all, but It has some clever "pop" behind it, getting insight into that sort of production is great
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Excellent - thanks for sharing. A favourite track of mine from a great band. Rick is excellent ... I'll check out his other episodes.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Great stuff. Enjoyed that.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited February 2018
    Great track and I like Rick Beato's videos. He does a great job of the solo and uses slightly different fingerings to me in places, so it's interesting to see his perspective.

The track had a profound effect on me. After years of playing and working out things for myself, that was the solo that caused me to decide I needed to take some lessons because I couldn't figure out how to approach stuff like that. I tried a few before I found a great teacher who set me on the right track.

It's not a competition.
  • Great breakdown 
    the chuck Rainey bass and drums soloed could listen to that looped all night.

what else can be said about Carlton’s solo. I seem to recall he ran through it whilst they were recording getting a few things together over the changes and nailed it first few takes.

where it all came from amaxing
  • After 25 years of only one (very nice) acoustic, it was this track that prompted me to buy an electric again.
    Stripping it down like this highlights not only how great the parts were but how well it has been put together. Amazing!!!

Does anyone know what software Rick runs to break the track down? 
  • That is a terrific series of videos!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Fantastic and I really enjoyed his breakdown of the song.
    @dindude and @Stinkfoot - If you haven't seen this before, it's worth a viewing, guys :)
  • Thanks for posting that is 17 minutes of sheer fuck me must try and do this leading to the inevitable bollocks I've never seen it or heard of it!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Cool, will give it a look later...

• Does anyone know what software Rick runs to break the track down? 
    He has acquired various sets of 'stem tracks' over the years...he just loads them in his DAW as if he were remixing the project for the analysis vids. It's not possible to take an album track apart in the same way ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Cheers for that.  The drumming is sublime
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    enjoyed that. cheers! 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378

Does anyone know what software Rick runs to break the track down? 
    He has acquired various sets of 'stem tracks' over the years...he just loads them in his DAW as if he were remixing the project for the analysis vids. It's not possible to take an album track apart in the same way ;)
    See Walter and Donald do the same with the master tapes of Aja --> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aja-Classic-Albums-Steely-Dan/dp/B00005O41J

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Yes, this is well worth watching.  I did a thread on it quite a while ago, but this seems a natural home for the video right here.  Stunning musicianship, stunning album.

Steely Dan - the making of Aja (Classic Albums documentary)

"A vivid portrait of a '70s record that is still as fresh and memorable today as when it was released more than two decades ago. Pioneering pop/jazz band Steely Dan, formed by Donald Fagen and Walter Becker in the early seventies, had already secured five Top 40 albums before the release of Aja in 1977. Aja, however, was to prove to be the biggest selling album of Steely Dan's illustrious career, reaching No. 3 on the Billboard chart and spending a year in the Top 40. Becker and Fagen, renowned for their relentless perfectionism in the recording studio, recall the history of an album that was a year in the making, but rewarded with a Grammy Award and three hit singles. Steely Dan's Aja has proven to be one of the most outstanding jazz-rock albums in the history of popular music and now its story is told in this fascinating documentary."

Duration 1:00:07
    https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdMV9TzMkc

• Kebabkid said:
    Fantastic and I really enjoyed his breakdown of the song.
    @dindude and @Stinkfoot - If you haven't seen this before, it's worth a viewing, guys :)
    Great video - thanks for sharing that. I love a geeky mixing-desk based documentary! What a tune, eh?!
  • Glad this hit the spot for so many of us  :)

The series is really good, so I thought I would give it a thread of it's own...

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/125292/what-makes-this-song-great#latest

• Followed Rick for a while but until now its all been a little over my head but this series has really nailed it, love the in depth look at a song 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Not really a necro-bump but a tag on - Rick Beato's just done 'The Weirdest Pop Song Intro of all Time' and it's Steely Dan's 'Josie' - Fabulous stuff

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Farkinell, @Kebabkid , mind blown!  That is a man who loves his music!

What a song!