ebay selling contact technique?

What's Hot
I just got a snotty email from ebay, when I had not even offered any contact details, neither had the potential buyer

Anyway I just read the ebay snottogram, which includes:
"- Offering or requesting contact information or links within a member-to-member message without a recent transaction"

So I just thought - perhaps I should offer for sale a 50p plectrum, or piece of information to sell to the potential guitar buyer, as a tactic, then the contact details could be shared surely?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You could just advertise the same item on Gumtree with contact details and mention it in your EBay ad. EBay own Gumtree so they can’t really object.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You are not allowed to mention Gumtree, certainly not in PM. I already got a ban for that. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    You cant even arrange a try before you buy, it's utter bollocks.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    edited February 2018
    I just got a snotty email from ebay, when I had not even offered any contact details, neither had the potential buyer

Anyway I just read the ebay snottogram, which includes:
    "- Offering or requesting contact information or links within a member-to-member message without a recent transaction"

So I just thought - perhaps I should offer for sale a 50p plectrum, or piece of information to sell to the potential guitar buyer, as a tactic, then the contact details could be shared surely?
    The snotty email is a result of their terrible filter system. I received my ban last year for responding to someone asking where I lived as they lived close to Bristol and wanted to pick up the item. The Ebay forums are full of stories of people being banned for situations similar to yours. You will also be banned for mentioning that the item is for sale elsewhere.

Quite how EBay expects sellers to fulfil local collection only auctions, I am unaware. I suspect that they will ban all of these on Ebay and throw them all onto Gumtree for a fee. Making more money out of Gumtree has been a priority for some time. The rise in job ad fees not so long back being a prime indicator. 

The choice is simple: either do it the Ebay way and pay the fees or go Gumtree/Facebook/forums.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    It’s gone beyond ridiculous, when you can’t view an item, before you buy. I get that they want to stop off eBay dealing, but come on..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I took advantage of the eBay offer at the weekend to sell for a £1 max fee. I had something already on sale - and someone local to me sent me a PM offering far too little and asking to meet up about a week ago -which I wasn't interested in. I closed the sale on Sunday and relisted (to get the lower selling fees). I got an eBay warning email. I think their software detected the other guy was trying to bypass them but did nothing - until I took down the item without it being sold. That kicked in their email - an unsold (as far as they could tell) item with a dodgy request from a buyer. When I queried it, that was all they were interested in. What happened to buyer xyz was their first question. Once I showed them the same item was still on sale I got an apology for the email. 
  • @TheBigDipper Possibly. The warning emails don't tend to come through too quickly. When I had mine (I was given a ban for giving the first half of my postcode so the potential buyer could assess whether it was worth driving to collect), it came about five days after the gentleman's request. It is however a rarity to get an apology off of Ebay like that so I'd frame that response!

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    my warning came after the potential buyer sent a message saying "do you come to London often", to which I replied "not much"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I’ve had warnings and a suspension....if people ask me anything potentially problematic, I reply sayin “sorry I can’t do that, the item is for sale elsewhere “.....most times they find me on Gumtree..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    The good news is that you can easily buy hoops to jump through on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-Multicolour-Hula-Hoop-Childrens-Adult-Fitness-Activity-Plastic-Hoola-Hoop/182594237979?hash=item2a8376f61b:m:m-Yoau3SKnh2kvGxOsQWqKQ

Although of course you can't ask to see if they're the right size or not before you do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I've received a second 'sell for £1" message from eBay. They must realise their fees and practises are starting to deter sellers.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    How do businesses pay fees on Ebay?.....their contact details are always there to see.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I bought a Yam  APX last week and managed to make contact with the seller  no problem.

I think the difference was that I made an offer first which was rejected. He then contacted me and we continued using email.
  • Reverb.com - must better and better value for money :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Reverb has some strange rules .... I've sold 2 items on there recently but Reverb won't give me my money until I've received good feedback. 
    And you can't mark an item as dispatched unless you have a valid tracking number but you can't send an item to the USA \ Australia etc tracked at a price oversea buyers want to pay 

Hopefully things will improve on Reverb cos I'm sick of Ebay and PP taking 11% of my hard earned dosh
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Reverb has some strange rules .... I've sold 2 items on there recently but Reverb won't give me my money until I've received good feedback. 
    And you can't mark an item as dispatched unless you have a valid tracking number but you can't send an item to the USA \ Australia etc tracked at a price oversea buyers want to pay 

Hopefully things will improve on Reverb cos I'm sick of Ebay and PP taking 11% of my hard earned dosh
    Interesting - I've not had either of these - ask @iain.reverb?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Danny1969 said:

Interesting - I've not had either of these - ask @iain.reverb?
    Here's what Reverb told me when I told them the items had been shipped :-1: 

"When the item has been received by the buyer have them leave feedback so we can confirm the item was in fact received. At that point you can reach out to us directly at support@reverb.com to let us know and we can initiate your payout. 
    If you have any questions please feel free to reach out"

I'm not overly fussed as I'm confident my overseas buyers will leave feedback but in the meantime I'm out of pocket ..
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    spark240 said:
    How do businesses pay fees on Ebay?.....their contact details are always there to see.

The same way as any other seller.
    The key thing is, it's a legal requirement for businesses to display contact details, so eBay have to show details, although they do now make them a bit less obvious. There's nothing stopping anybody from being a business seller, however it means you don't get any of the selling offers.
  • am i lucky or special, i have recently listed two guitar related items and sold them on ebay with my mobile phone number blatantly in the description, no threats or bans?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Danny1969 said:

Here's what Reverb told me when I told them the items had been shipped :-1: 

"When the item has been received by the buyer have them leave feedback so we can confirm the item was in fact received. At that point you can reach out to us directly at support@reverb.com to let us know and we can initiate your payout. 
    If you have any questions please feel free to reach out"

I'm not overly fussed as I'm confident my overseas buyers will leave feedback but in the meantime I'm out of pocket ..
    Reach out?
     :#  :# :#
    They're very fond of having people 'reach out'.