Bed and Breakfast man - Madness

What's Hot
Hello - 

Anybody know this song? Its pretty straight forward - I just can't quite get the chords the guitar is playing in the horn solo - its F, and C then I think A sharp..... 

Any help? 

@Kebabkid do you do it mate?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2018
    We do but we play it in A (original is in Bb).

I've pm'd you as I'm not quite sure if you mean the middle 8 bit :)
  • Cheers Cos!!!! much appreciated mate! 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited February 2018
    You're welcome and here it is if anyone else needs it (based on original recorded key of Bb)

Verse:Bb D# Gm F

Middle (this was the quirky section)
    C# F# 
    B F#
    A E
    D C# C-C B-B

It's a fun song to play
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That was an exciting hour - listening to loads of versions of Bed and Breakfast Man on Youtube with an unplugged electric guitar in hand. :tired_face: This has been on a possibles list for a long time so I thought I’d give it a go ( we may gig again one day and I’ve hardly played guitar in months so I needed some reason to pick it up). 

Madness seem to do it in A live, based on recentish stuff. The studio versions on YouTube seem to vary between A and a slightly wonky Bb. I’m guessing it was in A originally and they sped up the tape ( they certainly did that on One Step). The naked man doing a keyboard tutorial of it did it in A as well ( don’tcha just love Youtube...). 

Anyway, all I’ll add is there are a couple of obvious bits ( if we are in Bb) were they stay on F for a long while. Also in some of the verse sections ( such as the ones at the beginning where the guitar is playing arpeggios) rather than playing just the F at the end of the four chord sequence I think it goes F D# . 

Woh oh woh he was,he was a bed and breakfast man....
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWeary said:
    That was an exciting hour - listening to loads of versions of Bed and Breakfast Man on Youtube with an unplugged electric guitar in hand. :tired_face: This has been on a possibles list for a long time so I thought I’d give it a go ( we may gig again one day and I’ve hardly played guitar in months so I needed some reason to pick it up). 

Madness seem to do it in A live, based on recentish stuff. The studio versions on YouTube seem to vary between A and a slightly wonky Bb. I’m guessing it was in A originally and they sped up the tape ( they certainly did that on One Step). The naked man doing a keyboard tutorial of it did it in A as well ( don’tcha just love Youtube...). 

Anyway, all I’ll add is there are a couple of obvious bits ( if we are in Bb) were they stay on F for a long while. Also in some of the verse sections ( such as the ones at the beginning where the guitar is playing arpeggios) rather than playing just the F at the end of the four chord sequence I think it goes F D# . 

Oh no - why aren't you gigging at the moment Eric? You were last year weren't you?
  • EricTheWeary said:
    That was an exciting hour - listening to loads of versions of Bed and Breakfast Man on Youtube with an unplugged electric guitar in hand. :tired_face: This has been on a possibles list for a long time so I thought I’d give it a go ( we may gig again one day and I’ve hardly played guitar in months so I needed some reason to pick it up). 

Oh no - why aren't you gigging at the moment Eric? You were last year weren't you?
    It’s primarily me who organises things and I’ve been more focused on my 90 year old mother and getting a new job ( which I have done) and lost the momentum with the band. Our keyboard player just moved house, our singer is a new dad ( God help him, he’s the same age as me) and our bassist retired from work and is all over the country taking photos. So, we exist in theory but just busy doing other stuff.

At the moment MrsTheWeary works every other weekend and wants us to do stuff together when she’s not so I’m just letting the band slide really. When I pick up a guitar it’s either for the band or for something that might be for the band so not much incentive to go plincky pluncky either. 

Anyway, I quite enjoyed my time on B and B man last night, not sure I have the arpeggios quite right but there’s a version under my fingers I could gig with. If your band do it will be interesting to see how it goes down, one of those fan favourite songs that I guess goes down a storm some places and just gets some confusion in others. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    We played it in A as it seemed to work best. The guitar bit is a pain if you're in Bb. The verse is A, D, F#m, E D. If you want the arpeggios very badly tabbed, I used to play them nice and open as below...

E---0---2---2---4-2
    B---2---3---2---5-3
    G---2---2---2---4-2
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    Obviously, that's just the shapes - you need to pick accordingly.
  • We've got a working version now - will gig it at the weekend - 

Verse is A, D, F*m, E then in the break down I am doing C, F, A*, C, G*, A*, C*, C, B, A*

Thanks all!