ProTools plugins - virtual instruments

What's Hot
I need some plugins for protools that are "easy" to use and of a high quality sound output, by easy I mean install the plugin, use it, not install the plugin, install this player, link it to this account,, reference that to an ilok, open the player in another window, load the sounds, change the track in pro-tools to a virtual midi interface, set the output of the player to the virtual midi interface you just created.

I'm looking for 

a.) Quality organ sounds
b.) quality string orchestral sounds
c.) individual string sounds (chello, violin, viola etc)
d.) really nice piano

I've got EZ keys with some acceptable piano and electronic piano sounds, so they are lower on the list, but I'd welcome a good suggestion anyway, the strings seem harder to do

I'm not tight and happy to spend a fair amount for a fair product, but I'm not going to drop £1500 on a massive 500GB multi instrument pack for an organ for example.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7765
    edited February 2018
    If you dont want to use 6 different products from 6 different suppliers then there's Native Instruments stuff. Worth checking the KVR & Gearslutz forums.
  • I can't comment on Protools because I use Reaper. But for VSTi instruments here are my thoughts.

I went for Native Instruments Komplete 11 Ultimate. That goes a long way to covering everything I need. Then I upgraded the Symphony Essentials Collection to the Symphony Series Collection.

I suspect if I spent enough time with the above that would cover all my needs, however below are some others I really like.
    Bass: Trilian and IK Modo bass
    Keyboards: Addictive Keys and AAS Lounge Lizard
    Organ: GSi VB3 
    Synths: u-he Diva (analogue), IL Ogun (additive), IL Harmless, AAS Chromaphone (percussive)
    Drums: Addictive Drums (especially the Fairfax Vol. 1 addpak)

It's not a competition.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Similarly, I cannot comment on ProTools because I use Apple Logic Pro. 

darcym said:
    c.) individual string sounds (cello, violin, viola etc)

the strings seem harder to do
    I concur. Multi-sample orchestral string sections always sound slightly artificial. This is why I don't bother with them. Instead, I make a feature of the artificiality by using Mellotron, Chamberlin or String Ensemble sounds.

darcym said:
    d.) really nice piano
    Spectrasonics Keyscape. 
    https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/keyscape/index.php
    https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/spectrasonics-keyscape

I already lean heavily on Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2, Trillian and Stylus RMX. Despite my singular lack of proper pianistic technique, I really ought to add Keyscape to the collection. 

https://youtu.be/svX6WRWBP8o

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    darcym said:
    I need some plugins for protools that are "easy" to use and of a high quality sound output, by easy I mean install the plugin, use it, not install the plugin, install this player, link it to this account,, reference that to an ilok, open the player in another window, load the sounds, change the track in pro-tools to a virtual midi interface, set the output of the player to the virtual midi interface you just created.

I'm looking for 

a.) Quality organ sounds
    d.) really nice piano

I've got EZ keys with some acceptable piano and electronic piano sounds, so they are lower on the list, but I'd welcome a good suggestion anyway, the strings seem harder to do

I'm not tight and happy to spend a fair amount for a fair product, but I'm not going to drop £1500 on a massive 500GB multi instrument pack for an organ for example.
    How do you find it?  Do you use it much or not & which instrument pack did you go for?

I’m undecided whether or not to spend €139 on it.
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    I really like EZ keys, I got EZKeys classic Electrics, EZ Grand Piano, EZ Retro electrics (they had an offer on) I find them really good, and the plugin is really easy to use and the stand alone player "slightly above average" to use. In terms of value for money I found it excellent, I know other people prefer other things, but I really like it, and find the touch response with my weighted piano keyboard really good. It's very good value for money in my view.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers @darcym ;
    edited August 2018
    Just downloaded the Vintage Upight demo, to play around with.  So far so good, although.  The midi cannot be exported into my DAW which seems a shame, although I can see why they have done this, it doesn’t give the full experience  

1) One thing that is annoying me is the chord wheel keeps getting in my way! Can it be locked it position on the full version?

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    darcym said:

I'm looking for 

a.) Quality organ sounds
    d.) really nice piano

a) NI B4
    b, c,) Check out the billions of options at https://www.vsl.co.at/en
    d) Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Grand Piano 

That said, I don't use Pro Tools for midi.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    edited August 2018
    Decent organ emulation - and also cheap - http://www.airmusictech.com/product/db-33 - the best thing about it is that it's often really super cheap, keep your eye on pluginboutique.com for deals, they often have AIR stuff on sale.

For plug n' play orchestra it's hard to go wrong with IK Multimedia's Miroslav set. Comes in a couple editions depending on how deep you need it to be. It sits really well in pop/rock productions, IMO, better than most.

Really nice piano - I really like Pianoteq, actually. It creates sounds through physical modelling rather than samples and is very deeply tweakable, even the least-tweakable cheapest edition can do tonnes. Worth a try. Some real super piano purists don't like it, but I can usually always find a sound in there and I find it really responsive to play with a good 88-key weighted controller.
    Cheers @darcym ;

Finally bit the bullet & went for https://www.toontrack.com/product/ezkeys-essential-pianos/

It contains the models below which should be more than enough:

Steinway and Sons model D grand piano
    Östlind & Almquist upright piano
    Rhodes MK I
    Wurlitzer 200A

Am looking forward to using this with Reaper!

Finally got this set up & really enjoying it so far.

I think that this will help me learn piano chords & might improve my music theory.