Elixir Phosphor bronze alternatives

What's Hot
I use Elixir strings on my acoustics - depends on the guitar either 11-52s or 13-53s.

I love the coated strings - I like the sound and the longevity. I have tried D'Addario EXP's but found them to be a bit duller sounding compared to the Elixirs. 

Can anyone recommend some good alternatives to Elixir? I'm happy to pay the £13ish per set but if there are some other coated strings just as good I'd be happy to try.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    And if they're cheaper, even better!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609

I'd say that Elixirs are brighter rather than EXP are duller, if you see what I mean... the main difference I found was the bass seems so much stronger with EXPs. They don't sound new for as long as Elixirs but they seem a good compromise to me in terms of price and how long they last.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    DR Dragon Skin.

Much better than Elixirs or any other coated string in my opinion. (I find Elixirs tinny and EXPs dull, if it helps.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    Sounds interesting, I think I'll give them a try.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Any other strings anyone recommends?
  • xwoozorxwoozor Frets: 6
    Check out Wyres handmade strings.  There compareable to EXPS but with more of a clearer tone.  They lasted the same time also for me.

They will set you back about £15 on ebay
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    I've used elixir for a while and because of ICBM's recommendation I've just strung my J200 with the dragon skin ones.....what a difference, they've really brought all the tone out of the guitar...I was definitely missing something with the Elixirs....the DR's will be going on the Martin next

Cheers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    edited April 2014
    Thankfully that worked out OK, if you've read the other thread about Dragon Skins :-O .

They seem to either be very inconsistent, or the electric ones are crap (can't quite see why if the acoustic ones are good) or they're even more of a personal preference than Elixirs, or some combination of those things!

I will have to get more now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein