Recommend a guitar set-up book?

What's Hot
Now that I've finished my C18Q1 challenge, I now find myself trying to set-up a new guitar from scratch for the first time.  Can anyone recommend a book or website that takes an amateur through a basic set-up?  I'm thinking of things like neck relief, intonation etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I'd be more inclined to check out youtube guides.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited February 2018
    As Prowla has said (YT) and Feline's recommendation looks handy and would be worth checking out if Jonathan recommends it.

Charlie Chandler had one out, too, but I'm not sure if it's basic

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitarists-Guide-Set-Up-Maintenance/dp/0634096192

• Dan Erlwine's Guitar Player Repair Guide contains everything you'd ever want to know (and loads you probably don't need to know). It's compiled from Dan's Guitar Player column so it's not the easiest layout to find stuff but it really is the 'bible' for all sorts of guitar repair and setup..

More recently, Dan Erlewine released a book titled 'How to make your Electric Guitar Play Great' which might be a better bet for basic setup tasks.

Or get both! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• More recently, Dan Erlewine released a book titled 'How to make your Electric Guitar Play Great' which might be a better bet for basic setup tasks.
    I have this one, and it’s great. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14411
    Dan Erlewine ... get both!
    +1 

DE covers what to do, how to do it and the reasons why.

For example, when setting up a Stratocaster with the traditional fulcrum vibrato, DE specifies a sequence in which to make adjustments. Readers are not forbidden to deviate from the recommended sequence but they are forewarned that to do so tends to create more work. For a professional tech or builder, time is money.
    prowla said:
    Erlewine does video presentations too. :)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    prowla said:
    Me too, free and visual....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Thanks for the recommendations.  I managed to pick up a copy of Dan Erlewine's book for a fiver from the 'bay, so I'll use that along with YouTube to get on with learning how to do a basic set-up.