Compensated saddle for classical guitar?

I want to replace the 80mm saddle on my nylon classical with a compensated saddle to fix intonation. Any recommendations? I've seen a bone one on Amazon with a single review (albeit a positive one) but open to suggestions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    edited February 2018
    How wide is the saddle?

How off is the intonation?  I had a few issues with a nylon string guitar of mine with intonation and it was tricky to resolve.

This guy is great though
    http://www.chrisalsopguitar.co.uk/shop/custom-made-guitar-saddles-all/classical-guitar-bone-saddle

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Hmmmm - Stu, do u know what yer doin ? :#
    look at pics of electric and acoustic guitar bridges and note the amount of 'compensation' particularly in regard to the 'G' string.
    now look at this -

the 'G' is unwound / plain - like the electric G - so - it should get more compensation / be further back - like this

'Acoustic' saddles are compensated for a WOUND 'G' which ave a very thin core wire (which is actually what u'r compensating for - so the acoustic saddle is compensated in the WRONG direction.
    NB the core wire for 'acoustic' G's is about an 8 or 9 gauge - why they beak so readily.
    U'd need to make u'r own saddle.
    Hope this helps

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    It's easy to buy a pre-cut compensated classical saddle - eg here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/302613270153 - but you will need to do a bit of fitting and finishing work, it's unlikely to be exactly the right height and the edges and corners look like they need finishing properly, but it will be less work than starting from scratch.

Check the width of the slot/existing saddle carefully first, preferably with a Vernier caliper or something else accurate - that's the bit which is hardest to alter by yourself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    Intonation is just enough off to be noticeable further up the neck. Kinda like a Tele!
    I tried filing the one I had but I overdid it and so best to just get one that's already done. There seems to be a few different designs though so not sure what to get