Replacement steel tremolo block for Strats.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
edited February 2018 in Making & Modding
firstly is it worth upgrading a classic player 60’s Strat and where do I get one from. There used to be a seller on eBay make them for various types of Strat. Don’t want to go to the expense of a Callaham block.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    edited February 2018
    I was just looking for that myself. I think guitar fetish in the USA are the cheapest, although I don't know how expensive their shipping is.

Should be under the duty and vat limits though which helps.

Edit: Looks like you could get it £10-ish cheaper than the Wudtone block once shipping is factored in to both. Probably easier to buy in the UK unless the exchange rate gets better.
  • Wudtone at £40 seems to have all the features of the Callaham.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    +1 for the Wudtone. I was a total non believer until I replaced a cheap zink block that had stripped and the difference was night and day.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    As much as I have some issues with Andy from wudtone I have their holy grail trem on my strat and it’s pretty fricking wonderful.  

TBH if I was buying a block or trem for a new guitar I’d probably go back to wudtone again.  
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Kev Hurley, who used to make the ones on eBay, has stopped making his superb trem blocks - great shame as they featured the nylon sleeve in the same way that Callaham do, plus the quality was right up there. I hope he changes his mind and starts production again.
    Callaham stuff is pricey but bloody good.
    Wudtone... yes, you have to deal with Andy and I *have* had some issues with some of the trems which boiled down to them not being quite as well machined as I'd liked but its a good product, and the trem blocks are good. Not sure if he does different spacing for different origins of trem (Jap vs Mex vs US - there are variations of all these).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I seem to recall those wudtone vibrato systems weigh more than the moon?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    impmann said:
    Kev Hurley, who used to make the ones on eBay, has stopped making his superb trem blocks - great shame as they featured the nylon sleeve in the same way that Callaham do, plus the quality was right up there. I hope he changes his mind and starts production again.
    Callaham stuff is pricey but bloody good.
    Wudtone... yes, you have to deal with Andy and I *have* had some issues with some of the trems which boiled down to them not being quite as well machined as I'd liked but its a good product, and the trem blocks are good. Not sure if he does different spacing for different origins of trem (Jap vs Mex vs US - there are variations of all these).
    Have been in touch with him today. He’s going to make me one up.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Are these a significant upgrade from an Am Std (2016) block?
  • I'd like one as well, any chance????
    He said he was interested in making some more up in small batches. I will email him later.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    markj said:
    He said he was interested in making some more up in small batches. I will email him later.
    That’s good news.

His blocks are absolutely wonderful. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    markj said:
    He said he was interested in making some more up in small batches. I will email him 
    Don’t s’pose you know if he’ll be doing Floyd blocks do you ? 
  • If Kevin Hurley does start making blocks again I would certainly commit to buying a few. I'm rather partial to both his steel and brass blocks, and would happily purchase two more of each of those, MIM spaced with the standard 6" arms threaded for a tip, and ideally 10/32" threaded rather than M5. I could do with a couple more 6" 10l32 threaded arms too!
    Just ordered a steel block for my Classic player 60's. Kevin is willing to make some blocks for people on this forum. He said it was okay to put his email address on here for people to order direct from him, and pay via paypal gift. He is in the process of making a larger workshop so will only make the trem blocks in small numbers. His email address is.  kevinh66@hotmail.co.uk
  • markj said:
    Just ordered a steel block for my Classic player 60's. Kevin is willing to make some blocks for people on this forum. He said it was okay to put his email address on here for people to order direct from him, and pay via paypal gift. He is in the process of making a larger workshop so will only make the trem blocks in small numbers. His email address is.  kevinh66@hotmail.co.uk
    That's great stuff. I'll send him an email asap
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• A few emails and bish bash bosh it'll be on its way in the next day or so. If only everything was this straight forward 

• DougDoug Frets: 172
    DrBob said:
    markj said:
    He said he was interested in making some more up in small batches. I will email him 
    Don’t s’pose you know if he’ll be doing Floyd blocks do you ? 
    He has made Steel Floyd blocks in the past  ;)
    edited February 2018
    markj said:
    Mine is being made tomorrow. Superb service and superb price. I don’t know if it’s a special price but £25 delivered seems fab.
  • Postie just dropped off a nice heavy little package this morning. Haven't got any new strings so I'll have to wait to fit it