When listening to a tune triggers 335 gas

What's Hot
ewalewal Frets: 2558
For many this will be an unremarkable song, however the 335 tone is exactly what I love in a jangly semi-acoustic way played through a wee amp. I've come over all GAS although I can neither afford one, or justify without offloading a few others....

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I feel your pain
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    Buy one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    Sorry that probably didn't help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    If I could work out which two of my guitars I would be happy to part with and which would raise enough cash, I seriously would... Just have to wait for a lottery win... except I don't do the lottery...
  • epiphone?
  • epiphone?
    or Tokai? (caveat quality is ok but you need to ensure the tone can be jangled - I have one that is quite dark and might not take kindly to being jangled)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    I have spent lunchtime Googling 'alternatives to Gibson 335'. Epiphone, Ibanez, Eastman and Guild all crop up. But yeah, I'd need to sit down and play them to see if the sound and feel was right.

To think I swapped my 335 for a Yamaha MSG in the early 90's in a fit of something or other... Don't get me wrong - the Yamaha was a great guitar, but I'd much rather have my 335 twenty-five years later...
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited February 2018
    I’m not encouraging you to get into debt but Anderton’s are offering up to 36 months 0% on some Gibson guitars. 

Probably a Gibson led initiative to shift units based on the dire financial situation.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    edited February 2018
    Despite the inconsistency in finish, obscene pricing and confusing model range... if it has to be a 335 imo it has to be a Gibson.

Or you're just going to have that awful feeling of buyers remorse.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited February 2018
    My Epi Sheraton can do that middle position sound she’s using in the video: meat and potatoes to any semihollow humbucker guitar.

It still has the relatively sucky epi pickups in it, would sound even better with an upgrade but it seems to me that these semis can handle a pickup handicap better than solid bodies can due to the inherent jangle.

Much of the beauty of the sound at the start of the video is coming from the room & any reverb on the amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I was thought the Semi Hollow sound was something a bit more ethereal like this:

has that "hollowness" for want of a better word.  That's a cool song though!  If I was going to get a "budget" semi-hollow it'd probably be a Gretsch G2622.  Really dig the sounds in this video:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    I thought that clip sounded wonderful, until that nasty Telecaster came in and spoiled it.
  • Freddie! I love that man.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited February 2018
    @Arktik83 ;

That Freddie King clip is epic.  I’m not sure anyone makes a guitar that sounds like that anymore though.

That tone I guess is cranked amp (you can hear the cabinet), room, semihollow Gibson, PAFs and Freddie’s fingers.

Those PAFs have a dry, empty quality to their tone that really works well with the semi, you can hear the same quality in 59 Pauls.  When I hear modern performances going for that tone it tends to sound thicker and frankly, rather cheesy.

Maybe it can be done somehow I don’t know?  OP’s tone definitely an easier target by far!
    @Arktik83 that's one of the interesting things - I bet alot of us have a different sound in mind when we think of one of the classic models. Especially a 335 which is used in so many different styles of music.

PS: if you like this tune, you should check out Honey from the same session. Amazing song, however the jangly 335 tone doesn't feature quite as clearly.
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    @ewal agreed, I think everyone has their own kind of song in mind when thinking of a 335.  One thing is true, for me at least, you can't fake a semi hollow tone on a solid body guitar, bit like a tele bridge pickup.  You've made me want a semi hollow guitar now :D
    :) Bloody GAS!!

And just listened to the Gretsch demo - very nice - a bit similar to my Club King RT.... which is of course one of the reasons I can't really justify a 335... the other one being my Manta Ray... How many semi hollows is too many!
  • Don't forget Freddie is using metal banjo picks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So having a look about I'm starting to think one of the Ibanez AS models might do the trick. However I'd need to sell my Club King to make room for it. So I get the CK out for a play with a view to selling... It's so nice!!!

I'm completely torn now.. keep the CK and forget about a 335 alike or move it on??? Decisions, decisions...