When listening to a tune triggers 335 gas

What's Hot

Comments

• @ewal just to rub salt into the wound - that's an ES-355, with an ebony fretboard, which contributes to the genuinely excellent tone. A regular rw-board 335 won't sound quite the same.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewal said:

Ibanez make great Semi's at all price ranges, but I think they sound different from Gibson's.  Kind of brighter and tighter.  Very different unplugged, although I'm comparing China Ibanez to US Gibson.  I had a John Shcofield modle for a while, that was cool, but definitely different to classic 335 territory.

I'd be looking for a Sheraton myself, if you could get one for the right price some of the old Korean 90's ones were fantastic.  My mate had one and it was the definition of woody jangle.  Incidentally, I have a Midtown, which is great, but smoother and more solid sounding than I think you need based on the clips posted.

Also had a MIJ Tokai ES130, nice guitar but nowhere near as much woody goodness as the 90's Epiphone.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    The Ibanez is pretty good but there is no getting away from a Gibson... Sorry, but buy once.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Hmm... Still thinking this through... 

One half baked plan is to sell both my Reverends (Club King and Manta Ray), buy another Reverend (Tricky Gomez - which is a cross between a Manta Ray and Club King) which would leave some change which I could use towards a decent'ish 2nd hand Ibanez or Epiphone. Complicated...

Another option would be to sell the Club King and use income as a down payment on an obscenely priced Gibson...

Over-thinking, doing nothing... I should just get back to playing!
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    @ewal just to rub salt into the wound - that's an ES-355, with an ebony fretboard, which contributes to the genuinely excellent tone. A regular rw-board 335 won't sound quite the same.
    Aw damn. I just noticed this... I had thought it might be a variant that would be harder to find.

Pleased it's not just me that appreciates the tone!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Rocker said:
    The Ibanez is pretty good but there is no getting away from a Gibson... Sorry, but buy once.
    Listen to this wisdom from @Rocker.

Regarding 335 alikes, I have owned 3 Ibanez, 2 Tokai Japan, Reverend Manta Ray, all the Gibson Midtowns and a Gibson 135, and at least ten or more cheaper 335 alikes (Samick, Arias, Vintage, Indie, Chibsons, etc). I've changed pots/looms, bridges, pickups (Seymour Duncan, Burstbuckers, Stormy Mondays, and more).  Most have gone, with the rest for sale now. 

What have I kept? All my Gibson 335s and one Tokai Japan.  

My lengthy and expensive experiment proved: Cheap 335 alike plus the very best bits you can change does not equal a good Gibson 335.  End of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:
    Rocker said:
    Listen to this wisdom from @Rocker.

Regarding 335 alikes, I have owned 3 Ibanez, 2 Tokai Japan, Reverend Manta Ray, all the Gibson Midtowns and a Gibson 135, and at least ten or more cheaper 335 alikes (Samick, Arias, Vintage, Indie, Chibsons, etc). I've changed pots/looms, bridges, pickups (Seymour Duncan, Burstbuckers, Stormy Mondays, and more).  Most have gone, with the rest for sale now. 

What have I kept? All my Gibson 335s and one Tokai Japan.  

My lengthy and expensive experiment proved: Cheap 335 alike plus the very best bits you can change does not equal a good Gibson 335.  End of.
    I agree with this to a certain extent, but I ended up keeping the Midtown, I’d just like to make the point that they are not a 335 alike at all.  Cheaper yes, but also slightly smaller, totally different construction.  Not that much like a 335 really.   If you want a 335, you may be dissapointed, but Midtown’s are great in their own right (and let’s be honest if you really want hollow jangle ES330’s are where it’s at  ;) )
  • ewal said:
    Well unfortunately money is a problem to me and I keep finding myself being drawn toward one of these:

https://www.guitarinteractivemagazine.com/issues/issue-53/reviews/vintage-vsa500cr/

Does anyone have real life experience of this guitar?
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
    edited February 2018
    Sorry double post!
    edited February 2018
    Really sorry... treble post!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    edited February 2018
    I have the earlier Vintage VSA500 from when they were made in Korea. The newer offset version is Chinese I guess.  The older one is utterly unremarkable and overly heavy.  Definitely not as good as the two Ibanez AS103 I had (one Korean and one of the first Chinese ones).  The Ibanez 58 pickups are lower output but much sweeter.

Vintage are specced out and built in batches by whichever factory will do it for least money. So my expectations are low at that price. I am very surprised by the gushing review, although others have suggested Mr Quayle will say good things about any gear for a price.

Edit: Made me laugh where he says he's a big 335 fan and the neck on the VSA500 is "very close!"  The necks on my 335s vary from 60s slim to 50s fat, so his assertion is nonsense.
  • No but on the basis of that review I would try one . I've found the problem with Vintage is that the dealers haven't got one, and won't get you one to try, they want a non-returnable deposit.. I can see their reasons, but it doesn't help you make a decision neither does it help Vintage sell the instrument.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited February 2018
    Chalky said:
    I have the earlier Vintage VSA500 from when they were made in Korea. The newer offset version is Chinese I guess.  The older one is utterly unremarkable and overly heavy.  Definitely not as good as the two Ibanez AS103 I had (one Korean and one of the first Chinese ones).  The Ibanez 58 pickups are lower output but much sweeter.

Vintage are specced out and built in batches by whichever factory will do it for least money. So my expectations are low at that price. I am very surprised by the gushing review, although others have suggested Mr Quayle will say good things about any gear for a price.

Edit: Made me laugh where he says he's a big 335 fan and the neck on the VSA500 is "very close!"  The necks on my 335s vary from 60s slim to 50s fat, so his assertion is nonsense.
    Always my worry about reviews... how influenced are they but hey if they are too influenced surely they will be quickly found out.

No but on the basis of that review I would try one . I've found the problem with Vintage is that the dealers haven't got one, and won't get you one to try, they want a non-returnable deposit.. I can see their reasons, but it doesn't help you make a decision neither does it help Vintage sell the instrument.
    What you say is so very true, no where near me seems to have any in stock. Vintage do seem to be pretty well thought of by owners (some on this site) and perhaps it does help keep their costs down. The problem is that if you take a punt and don't get on with the guitar it seems you've lost 50% of your money: (
    Having thought about the Ibanez AS series and 335's, I've now shifted my attention to a Guild Starfire V. Getting one of these is potentially do-able if I sell my Club King. My interest was piqued by this demo - so nice to see a demo that involves tasteful playing for a change...

Still like the idea of a black Guild Starfire v, but the Eastman T486B looks a beaut too. Decision not helped by the fact that neither are stocked by any shop near me. The search goes on...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Sell the lot and buy a real 335. You only need one guitar.

There's a particularly nice one in Glasgow just now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:

Whereabouts?? Strung Out Guitars or???
    ewal said:
    ICBM said:

Whereabouts?? Strung Out Guitars or???
    And on the one guitar question - I agree, however it's easier to have 2 or 3 if playing in multiple tunings. Of course the obvious retort to that is that you only need play in one tuning ;)