Tone pot behaviour on 1960s Harmony Rocket

hi people. Need some advice
just bought a Single S-Grille  pickup Harmony Rocket. Pickup sounds great . However the tone control ( According to web info itwill have a 0.02 cap on a 250k pot ) when turned down removes almost all the sound. I understand this can sometimes be a sign of a broken pickup, but it sounds great when tone pot is open or nearly open. 
Might it be a failed cap?
i know i could just try a replacement, but its a fiddly job thro the f holes so so id rather ask a few experts ( you lot) first

if so any advice on sources of replacements? 

Thanks 
chris 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds like the cap is gone and the signal is going straight to ground when you roll it down. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    From the symptom it does sound more likely to be the pickup unfortunately. It isn't likely to be a shorted cap unless it removes *all* the sound.

Do you have a multimeter? You can check the pickup from outside the guitar if you plug a cable in, turn the controls up full and measure the resistance at the other end. If you get a normal pickup DC reading (typically 5-10Kohms) then the pickup is fine, if you get the volume pot value then it isn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 115
    Will try with multimeter. Thanks guys. 
    Would the pickup sound so good if it was broke ?
    jakeolly said:

Would the pickup sound so good if it was broke ?
    They can sound surprisingly OK until you compared them with an unbroken pickup. The capacitive coupling from the coil to the cover can be quite large, enough to pass a fair signal.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 115
    Hurrah!!. Just tried on multi.—- 9.36 k, both with tone pot open or closed. So that means tone cap faulty/ disconnected?
    it was the ‘plug in a lead and try it’ that helped me. Because im a chump it never occured to me to do that  :/
    thanks guys much relief . Even tho i like the sound i couldnt have settled if it had been faulty. 

Sources of replacement caps ?
    views on idea of adding a further ( bridge) goldfoil - sacriledge or good idea . Ill see how it performs at rehearsal tonight. 
    Lovely thing tho 
    Thanks again 

Yes, it sounds like the cap is faulty - it must be not completely shorted. Odd, but the resistance reading does mean the pickup is fine.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    jakeolly said:
    Hurrah!!. Just tried on multi.—- 9.36 k, both with tone pot open or closed. So that means tone cap faulty/ disconnected?
    it was the ‘plug in a lead and try it’ that helped me. Because im a chump it never occured to me to do that  :/
    thanks guys much relief . Even tho i like the sound i couldnt have settled if it had been faulty. 

Sources of replacement caps ?
    views on idea of adding a further ( bridge) goldfoil - sacriledge or good idea . Ill see how it performs at rehearsal tonight. 
    Lovely thing tho 
    Thanks again 

A cap is a cap, despite the voodoo marketing.
    AxesRUs sell orange drops if that’s your thing.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.