NAD - Very unfashionable, but rather good old Peavey amp

NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
edited February 2018 in Amps

I just scored this very tidy old Bandit Transtube Silver Stripe off Ebay for not very much and it is really good. I used to have one of the old 80s pre-transtube ones and always liked the sound (for clean and low-gain), so I have been looking to get one of the later ones for a while.

It had a few crackly pots and a hum problem I had to fix (heatsink extrusion was not bolted down properly - tighten up 2 screws and hum is gone), but it's in great condition with the original Sheffield speaker. (no footswitch sadly, but I have an unbranded replacement)

I'm saved from going down the rabbit hole of modeller parameter tweaking any more. Nice proper spring reverb too
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• i had a teal stripe one not long ago, great amp, gave it away to a good cause but i miss it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    These first-series Transtube ones are really great amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I got my silver stripe Bandit for £50 when I was in second year of uni just as something to mess around with - such a great clean sound and virtually bombproof. Using it in stereo with my AC30 was a real eyeopener.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    I had one of these as a teenager! Plenty of volume which used to piss my parents right off when they were downstairs trying to watch Eastenders.
  • NeilMcGNeilMcG Frets: 62
    edited February 2018
    ICBM said:
    They are also well made and very fixable compared to modern amps. Reminded me of that thread with the Blues Cube that was almost written off - that would never happen with an older technology design!

They don't look like this anymore:

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    ICBM said:
    Amen.

A contender for one of the best SS amps ever made, IMHO.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    ICBM said:
    Amen.

A contender for one of the best SS amps ever made, IMHO.

Yup. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/