Getting to know my Victory V45 Combo

CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
Had a great night rehearsing last night and finally worked how best to set up my Victory V45 combo.

Then had the sad realization that the optimum way to set it up just won't work for me.

For anyone thinking about this or the older V30 (the newer ones with the crunch mode are probably different) here are my thoughts, although none of this is exactly ground breaking...

You need to set the clean channel to your liking, then use a overdrive or similar pedal to get your mid gain crunch sound from the clean channel.  The you just kick the overdrive in for your lead solo sound.

Also don't be shy with the eq in using the treble and middle controls.

I think that's maybe why people don't like this amp.  It just does the extreme settings of very clean and very gainy/saturated.  Both of those sounds are excellent though, in my opinion.  Just needs something to bridge the gap and does explain the new 'crunch' mode.

All i really need in an amp is an edge of clean (usually from backing off the guitar volume) and a crunch.

Just some thoughts for any Victory or potential Victory owners.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That was my problem with the v30 when I tried it - there was no middle ground. And the clean was ice pick clean - so far removed from my Marshall upbringing that I just couldn’t bond with it. Sounds like a pedal solution will be your best bet. 
    I moved on to a v40 which had some crunch but was a little bland. At least the v30 has a character. The portability of the heads was a serious plus point as well. 
    Hope you get it to work for you. 
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I think that the mkii will convert a lot of people to this amp as it seems to address the problems.

Having asked, sadly it’s not possible to mod the original v30’s to mkii specs!

I agree that the form factor of the Victory amps is a huge plus point.