Anyone seen any good parlour bags/cases?

What's Hot
LewyLewy Frets: 4195
edited February 2018 in Acoustics
As per the title really.

My little Larrivee Parlour has always deserved something better than the crappy gig bag it came in but seems like there’s not much around in that size. It’s a perfect sling-in-the-back-of-the-car holiday guitar but needs better protection. Obviously could get a bigger (say classical) sized case and pad it out but that would rather defeat the object.

Anyone seen anything? Budget around a ton I guess. Not really interested in cheap bags as won’t be better than what’s there now.

ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Mono do one. Not cheap, but it's probably the best.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The Takemine New Yorker range come with good hard cases, which makes me think they must get them from somewhere. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    The Takemine New Yorker range come with good hard cases, which makes me think they must get them from somewhere. 
    I hate to disagree, but those Takamine cases are absolute junk. They fall apart remarkably easily and quickly.

I would never buy a traditional plywood case now - even a better one than those - if it didn't come with the guitar. If you want a hard case you want a Hiscox - lighter and far stronger than any wooden case.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The Takemine New Yorker range come with good hard cases, which makes me think they must get them from somewhere. 
    I hate to disagree, but those Takamine cases are absolute junk. They fall apart remarkably easily and quickly.

I would never buy a traditional plywood case now - even a better one than those - if it didn't come with the guitar. If you want a hard case you want a Hiscox - lighter and far stronger than any wooden case.
    Interesting. Had no problems with mine, but then all I've done is chuck it in the car boot occasionally. Seems pretty sturdy to me but I'll bow to your superior knowledge. Quite like the carry strap for it. 

Legionreturns said:

Interesting. Had no problems with mine, but then all I've done is chuck it in the car boot occasionally. Seems pretty sturdy to me but I'll bow to your superior knowledge. Quite like the carry strap for it. 
    Sadly I've seen more than any other brand I can think of that have just disintegrated. OK, this could be partly because for a long time Takamines were *the* go-to professional electro-acoustic so it's likely most were bought by pros and gigged a lot, but it's not just that. They're noticeably flimsier (and admittedly lighter) than something like a Gibson or Taylor ply case.

The 'Pro' series Hiscoxes come with a carry strap too, not sure about the standard ones. (I think they just have the rings for them.)

• ICBM said:
    Legionreturns said:

Sadly I've seen more than any other brand I can think of that have just disintegrated. OK, this could be partly because for a long time Takamines were *the* go-to professional electro-acoustic so it's likely most were bought by pros and gigged a lot, but it's not just that. They're noticeably flimsier (and admittedly lighter) than something like a Gibson or Taylor ply case.

The 'Pro' series Hiscoxes come with a carry strap too, not sure about the standard ones. (I think they just have the rings for them.)
    If I ever start taking mine out of the house regularly, I'll definitely get a hiscox. It's a £1400 guitar and not worth the risk. For just the occasional trip to the studio the supplied case is fine. It's funny how adversely the resale value is affected if you don't have the original case though. 

• If I ever start taking mine out of the house regularly, I'll definitely get a hiscox. It's a £1400 guitar and not worth the risk. For just the occasional trip to the studio the supplied case is fine. It's funny how adversely the resale value is affected if you don't have the original case though. 
    Just stick the original in the loft, until you come to sell it : >
  • Protection racket gig bags have a good rep in the bass world, might be worth having a look at this classical size model.

http://www.protectionracket.com/products/category/classical-guitar

Legionreturns said:

If I ever start taking mine out of the house regularly, I'll definitely get a hiscox. It's a £1400 guitar and not worth the risk. For just the occasional trip to the studio the supplied case is fine. It's funny how adversely the resale value is affected if you don't have the original case though. 
    Just stick the original in the loft, until you come to sell it : >
    Which is exactly why I have a flimsy, useless plywood vintage Rickenbacker bass case in the loft... and carry the bass around in a Mono gig bag :). Including on the bus, last night - no worries at all.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    Appreciate the suggestions. Thanks folks.