Two Notes Captor, worth it?

I only do bedroom recording and at the moment I record lower level amp (dsl 40c) or go straight in to my focusrite and try to find a half decent amp sim.
The captor has peaked my interest and is it worth splashing out £200? What ohm should I go for? Is there an alternative I should be aware of? Or should I get the two notes wall of sound software and just use those amp sims?
Thanks,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    I don't have an answer for you, but I am in pretty much the same situation (with the same amp coincidentally) and would be interested to hear about anyone who has used one of these boxes. I use S-Gear 2 for initial tracking and it sounds pretty good, but when you do an A/B against a recording from mic on the guitar cab, it doesn't stand up so well. Would love one of these to be the magic bullet that helps me record great tube amp tones whilst the kids are asleep....
  • All demos I’ve heard sound boss. But I’m wondering if just getting the wall of sound software with some cabs would do the trick as well. Although playing live and really cranking the amp through the captor would be helpful
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115

I was looking to get something like the Captor but when I asked about being able to adjust the DI level I was told

that the Captor drops the level by 20db and that's all.

Check out the demos on youtube and see if it does what you want.

As usual go to the shop and try for yourself if possible.

I decided it wasn't for me and bought the Reload instead.

Yes I know its a lot more money but it does exactly what I want and a lot more.

• asimmd said:

I was looking to get something like the Captor but when I asked about being able to adjust the DI level I was told

that the Captor drops the level by 20db and that's all.

Check out the demos on youtube and see if it does what you want.

As usual go to the shop and try for yourself if possible.

I decided it wasn't for me and bought the Reload instead.

Yes I know its a lot more money but it does exactly what I want and a lot more.

Cheers for the info I will have a think
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I just got a Captor for recording and playing silently with impulse responses and I'm still getting to grips with it. I think it'll come down to finding the right IR. The built in speaker sim is average but I didn't buy it for that. 

Just recorded this in about 10 mins of faffing with my 2525C and the free Redwirez greenback 4x12 IRs. I've noticed it sounds a bit duller and more "modern" than the real thing but not too far off, could just be the IRs I have loaded. And it feels better than any modeller I've tried.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/496cjbj6gj3rdia/DI Guitar.mp3?dl=0

Gonna install Wall Of Sound over the weekend and have a proper play with that then to see if it'll get me closer. Might try the Celestion IRs as well.
  • Was not that bothered about WOS. Boogez is free and gets to the point. 
  • Boogex - This sounds the best option for the moment, then decided if it's worthwhile getting captor after recording
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    TTBZ said:
    I just got a Captor for recording and playing silently with impulse responses and I'm still getting to grips with it. I think it'll come down to finding the right IR. The built in speaker sim is average but I didn't buy it for that. 

Just recorded this in about 10 mins of faffing with my 2525C and the free Redwirez greenback 4x12 IRs. I've noticed it sounds a bit duller and more "modern" than the real thing but not too far off, could just be the IRs I have loaded. And it feels better than any modeller I've tried.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/496cjbj6gj3rdia/DI Guitar.mp3?dl=0

Gonna install Wall Of Sound over the weekend and have a proper play with that then to see if it'll get me closer. Might try the Celestion IRs as well.
    Sounds like it would work alright in a mix with a high pass and some of the low mids cut. Nice riff as well!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Cheers! I've found it seems way gainier than in the room for some reason, anyone else experience this? I'm using about half the gain as I normally would and it sounds the same. The amp is set identical to my usual band settings and volume.