Best small-sized spring reverb

What's Hot
Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
Any recommendations for a small footprint spring reverb pedal that doesn't cost a fortune? It doesn't need lots of other reverb options, just a GREAT spring sound.
I have a Flint, but don't really rate the spring sound. Best I've ever used was a borrowed Holy Stain - does the Holy Grail Nano work as well? What about the Catalinbread Topanga or Malekko (can't remember the name). 
I want to use it as an EFFECT for surfy, garagey sounds, not as a subtle always on sound. 
Cheers folks :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    edited February 2018
    I have a J Rad Boing which is almost identical to the spring reverb on my Fender Amp. Highly recommend it and its worth trying out. Wampler are just about to bring out a mini spring reverb pedal which is also worth a look.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    Boss FRV-1. Now discontinued and rapidly increasing in price, so get in quick...

As close to identical-sounding to an original Fender 6G15 reverb unit as doesn’t make much practical difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    ICBM said:
    Boss FRV-1. Now discontinued and rapidly increasing in price, so get in quick...

As close to identical-sounding to an original Fender 6G15 reverb unit as doesn’t make much practical difference.
    I see what you mean:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSS-FRV-1-FENDER-REVERB-63-FREE-NEXT-DAY-DELIVERY-IN-THE-UK/192449878478?hash=item2ccee819ce:g:UtkAAOSwdoZaeyzM
  • solarsolar Frets: 174
    I'm quite into spring reverb.. First one I got was a Catalinbread Topanga, which I found a bit odd and artificial-sounding. I had a Carl Martin Headroom on my board for ages, but it's so huge and heavy I decided to go digital again and keep the Headroom for the studio. I got a Subdecay Super Spring Theory which sounds almost as good - certainly in a live setting it's hard to tell the difference.

As it happens, both the Carl Martin and the Subdecay are for sale at the moment - I'm de-pedaling in favour of an amp with reverb built in. Drop me a line if you're interested!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    Sassafras said:

I see what you mean:
    That's still a bit daft. If you check completed prices, they're going for between £100 and £150 usually - if you're lucky you can still get one for just under £100. Some nut did pay £180 for one though...

I think they're great, but I don't think they're a £200 pedal. (He says having sold one a few months ago for £70... or might have been £65 :(.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Malekko Spring Chicken is the name you were searching for.

I was going to mention the Surfy Bear but it's large and £360 ( gulp). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Thanks - I think there's an updated Spring Chicken too. The small size is attractive. But is it any good?
    Also, I quite like the look of the new TC Drip - anyone tried one yet?
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    ICBM said:

@ICBM I can attest to it being a great reverb, I bought one on your recommendation and have been very pleased with it. I can't remember exactly how much I paid for it but it was no more than £100.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.

Thanks - I think there's an updated Spring Chicken too. The small size is attractive. But is it any good?
    There are two versions. I have the second although I don't use it much. I don't know my way around spring reverbs well enough to say if it sounds like a Fender tank, it definitely sounds like reverb though and it has a slightly dirty vibe. You can plug in an expression pedal for the level, although it takes over the whole level function rather than just going to maximum from where the knob is. 
    I don't imagine anything I could put on YouTube would illustrate it any better than anything already on there. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2018
    £15 off Aliex - superb.

http://i65.tinypic.com/15oufy9.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

http://i65.tinypic.com/15oufy9.jpg
    How does this sound? Nice and drippy? Any drawbacks?
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Very few pedals have the drip, maybe the FRV and the new Ventris which is neither small nor affordable.
    The TC Drip sounds pretty drippy: 

Only £50 too..
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Must say I do like the Catalinbread Topanga, me. It's an always-onner on my board.

It sounds authentic to my ears and can be made to sit nicely back in the mix. The reverb tone knob is a Good Thing too.

The only annoying thing is the stoopid 'Easter egg' sound which can on occasion pop up on power-up if the knobs have been fiddled with.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4780
    edited February 2018
    Mr Black Deluxe Plus, check out the Andy from PGS demo. Very springy and with added trem if you like it. Pretty good imo.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Topanga isn't very springy compared to the Boss or a real spring reverb. And if you're going for the real thing, there isn't much point going for something small as the long tanks sound better. Check out the number of people who flip their Orion or Endless Summer.

Not as nice as the Boss but Digitech seem to have a passable spring emulation in their reverb stomps.
    solar said:
    The TC Drip sounds pretty drippy: 

Only £50 too..
    Sounds like a room reverb with an added "drip" type noise to me, not springy.
    For the real thing check out the Surfy Bear, it nails the Fender outboard sound at a fraction of the price.
  • Thanks all - still catching up. Didn't like the TC Drip very much though :(