Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Florida shooting ...

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    randella said:
    Interesting and relatively un-shouty read on the NRA and their influence in Washington and beyond:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/17/nra-gun-lobby-gun-control-congress

What they are saying about the demographics means that change will happen at some point.  Hopefully it's soon and not 20 years down the line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4159
    crunchman said:
    randella said:
    Interesting and relatively un-shouty read on the NRA and their influence in Washington and beyond:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/17/nra-gun-lobby-gun-control-congress

What they are saying about the demographics means that change will happen at some point.  Hopefully it's soon and not 20 years down the line.
    Yes, I found that interesting too. 

It also seems the anti-gun lobbies are taking the fight to Congress as well, but I think they might be bringing a Gregg's bun to a patisserie fight.  Maybe they'll gain some traction, who knows.

Another point that stood out was the fact that with Trump in power, the NRA have lost their natural bogeyman (Obama, Clinton) so are swinging at the media instead trying to start a barney to get their members and potential voters fired up.

One thing's for sure, gun ownership and control in America is a complex, entrenched problem that ain't going to go away easily, no matter how much I'd like it to.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    I can see this happening again, and again, and again, ad infinitum

Usually, after these incidents, the sales of guns and ammo go up.  

Even if the sale of guns and assault rifles is stopped, there are already too many in circulation in the USA. 

Gun possession in the USA is embedded in their culture and I cannot see that changing. 

Sadly, there will be more mass shootings overthere. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    edited February 2018
    ICBM said:
    The really shocking thing about all this is that in 1979, school shootings were so rare and shocking that someone in another country wrote a (great) song about one.

But in 2018, they're so common that they only get reported internationally when they're far worse than the one Geldof was writing about... which was two dead, nine injured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_(San_Diego)

As if to prove your point, the Wikipedia link redirects to a page that gives you a choice of four different shootings you might be thinking of when you search for "Cleveland school shooting"

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As fretmeister put it, rather bluntly, on Facebook: America's political class (and a good part of the population) has already decided that no amount of dead kids is reason enough to ban guns.

It's time for the feigned hand-wringing to stop, and for them to react with their honest feelings when this sort of thing happens: "Meh, we like guns". Anything else is disingenuous at best and dishonest at worst.

Realistically, the only thing that'll make a difference (and I'm not advocating this by any stretch) is if people take advantage of the lax gun control and start taking pot shots at pro-gun politicians every time they're out in public. Self-preservation is all they care about, and putting that in jeopardy is the only way this is going to change in the near future.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • but then trump'd say "everybody needs to be armed, to protect our politicians and the democratic american way..."
    cacophony said:
    but then trump'd say "everybody needs to be armed, to protect our politicians and the democratic american way..."

Bet they don't let anyone with a gun within half a mile of Trump.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    America's war on terrorism is aimed at the wrong people.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    edited February 2018
    You’d be forgiven for thinking America is the only country in the world that has guns with 18 school shootings in just 6 weeks.

They have ‘only’ three times more guns per head than Canada, France or Norway. It isn’t just the guns that is the problem, although the guns obviously make the situation far, far worse. For some reason quite a number of Americans appear to be prepared to murder at the drop of a hat and this should not be overlooked. It stuns me that the public can buy a AR15, its sole purpose is to kill lots and lots of people. It seems unwieldy to use in the house or hunting.

The right to bear arms is often cited by the NRA, when it was implemented, the citizens had a fair chance against the army. Now the American armed forces would absolutely crush a citizen insurgence, on paper at least. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24258
    Make it compulsory for everyone in America to own and carry a loaded assault rifle then wait a couple of years then we can walk in and take our now empty colony back.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22701
    I wonder what they're saying about this on American guitar forums?
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Philly_Q said:
    I can't bear to look...
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
  • There is a rot in American society, where it does not seem wrong that carrying a gun is a right but healthcare is a privilege.
    America is actually fairly isolated from the rest if the world with just the Canadians and Mexicans as direct neighbours. All conflicts in modern history (even WW1 and WW2) have always been elsewhere. 
    There is a culture of me first rather than us together. My rights first fuck everything else.
    And Money seems to be the main this people measure others by.
    Also the it attitude of quantity over quality sums it all up.

Ravenous said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I can't bear to look...

I just had a look at TGP.  Their no politics rule neutered the conversation quite a lot but it ended with the thread getting closed and the moderator threatening infractions.  To be fair to them, there were some people on there talking sense.  There were also some of the stereotyped gun nuts who ought to be locked up for their own good.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

How ironic that The Donald is saying that people with a history of bad or erratic behaviour, displaying arms and threatening the neighbours, should be reported to The Authorities.

Does that include you, Donald?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    From Family Guy a few years back:

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4159
    Ravenous said:

How ironic that The Donald is saying that people with a history of bad or erratic behaviour, displaying arms and threatening the neighbours, should be reported to The Authorities.

Is it me or can anyone else sense the mental health card about to be played far and wide?

Guns don't kill people, 'Loners' and those who are 'a bit weird' do.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72232
    edited February 2018
    english_bob said:

As if to prove your point, the Wikipedia link redirects to a page that gives you a choice of four different shootings you might be thinking of when you search for "Cleveland school shooting"
    The editor wouldn't let me post the direct link for some reason - I did try, but you're right that the 'disambiguation' one is actually quite telling in its own way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    randella said:
    Ravenous said:

Is it me or can anyone else sense the mental health card about to be played far and wide?

Guns don't kill people, 'Loners' and those who are 'a bit weird' do.

Trump also repealed a law that prevented mentally ill buying guns not long ago, he's possibly helped create the situation himself.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom