Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Florida shooting ...

What's Hot

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    edited February 2018
    The Governer said "we have to put this down to being pure evil". Yep, that'll be it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This isnt the exact gun he was using but it was an AR-15

Its ridiculous that these are available to the general public

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Has anyone declared a false flag yet?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    The video about halfway down this page is well worth watching...

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/16/media/jimmy-kimmel-trump-florida-shooting/index.html

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Ban ammo. Once the current stocks are gone, they'll be hard pressed to go on mass shootings armed only with frozen peas
    You do know people reload old ammo don't you?
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Neil said:
    Ban ammo. Once the current stocks are gone, they'll be hard pressed to go on mass shootings armed only with frozen peas
    You can also make your own. I know a guy over here who makes his own, so it's definitely possible in the US.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• CHRISB50 said:
    Neil said:
    You can also make your own. I know a guy over here who makes his own, so it's definitely possible in the US.
    Just wanted to say - making own ammo is not that uncommon. Hunters, but also for those who don't want their bullets to be traced.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    CHRISB50 said:
    Neil said:
    Just wanted to say - making own ammo is not that uncommon. Hunters, but also for those who don't want their bullets to be traced.
    Hasn't there been a recent case here in the UK of a jeweller getting himself banged up for a long time, purely because he was making ammunition for gangs and other very unsavoury types?

Birmingham maybe?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    CHRISB50 said:
    Neil said:

There isn't going to be one thing that will be considered the solution to the problem, it will take lots of little things. Limiting ammo, justification for owning anything that isn't a hand gun, stringent license those wanting a gun etc. It's going to take a lot of small changes and each change will make a small impact that will add up.
  • underdog said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Neil said:

There isn't going to be one thing that will be considered the solution to the problem, it will take lots of little things. Limiting ammo, justification for owning anything that isn't a hand gun, stringent license those wanting a gun etc. It's going to take a lot of small changes and each change will make a small impact that will add up.
    ...and each change will be fought as though it were the end of the world, with all the money that the NRA can muster.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    underdog said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    Neil said:

...and each change will be fought as though it were the end of the world, with all the money that the NRA can muster.

Of course, it's not going to be easy but our view from over here in the UK is distorted by stereotypes, there are many areas in the US that don't want guns to be as available as they are, and with every passing year that will grow. The younger generation will come through with more peace loving views, and eventually they will win, but a lot could be done now to speed that up.
  • danodano Frets: 1592
    edited February 2018
    Guns Don't Kill People, Americans Do.

I'e only skimmed the thread so it may have been already posted but other countries have much higher gun ownership that the USA such as Canada, Australia, Switzerland, some Scandinavian countries.  With the odd exception they have nowhere near the level of mass shootings.

To me it's about the American psyche. As a nation they have huge underlying aggressivness to them.  A very real pasive agressiveness, you upset an American and he will happily get his gun to sort out differences.

That's what they need to sort.out.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    Apparently the answer is more armed guards in schools. 
    Why not just give everyone hand grenades? And maybe landmines as well. 
    And maybe the head teachers can have a bazooka. That should make things even more safe  
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4779
    Actually America has way more gun ownership than everywhere else. As a proportion it has 42% of all the registered guns in the world. This inaccurate reporting of places like Canada having more guns keeps popping up, but is distinctly untrue. This article explains it well, in that its more likely the amount of guns as the root cause rather than any particular American psyche argument. 

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/world/americas/mass-shootings-us-international.html?referer=http://m.facebook.com

If they have 42% of all legal weapons, I dread to think how many illegal weapons are in circulation.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    There appears to be a locally (to the incident) based call to put guns on the political agenda - about f***ing time. If there is to be a change it's going to be a generational shift. Hip kids against guns has a ring to it.
  • Boromedic said:
    Actually America has way more gun ownership than everywhere else. As a proportion it has 42% of all the registered guns in the world. This inaccurate reporting of places like Canada having more guns keeps popping up, but is distinctly untrue. This article explains it well, in that its more likely the amount of guns as the root cause rather than any particular American psyche argument. 

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/world/americas/mass-shootings-us-international.html?referer=http://m.facebook.com

If they have 42% of all legal weapons, I dread to think how many illegal weapons are in circulation.
    For me, the telling statistic is that there are just over 101 registered guns in America for every 100 inhabitants.

An excellent reason not to go there, I think.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    dano said:

To me it's about the American psyche. As a nation they have huge underlying aggressivness to them.  A very real pasive agressiveness, you upset an American and he will happily get his gun to sort out differences.
    I can't see that.  Americans are humans, humans don't change that much no matter where they are or when they are.
    Culturally, yes, I get that this will make an impact.
    But I suspect the "it's about" is that Americans have a shit load of guns. 
    Proportionately they have just as many craz... interesting people as the rest of the world.
    But that's a lot of interesting people with a shit load of guns to choose from.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1592
    edited February 2018
    I work for a US company, one of the offices i spend a lot of time at is in Michigan.  They have a Carry and Conceal law there which makes it legal for people to bring their guns to work, the employer can't stop it. On a typical  day in a building of 500 people I can easily see 30 guns "discreetly" in coats on the back of  chairs. In some states they are all armed to the teeth.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    edited February 2018
    I was in the army as a young man, I spent an awful lot of time around guns of varying descriptions, however as a regular course of events, unless we had a reason to carry one, they were always locked away. I can't imagine many circumstances in the average workplace where you're gonna need a gun.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom