Anyone owned a Swart AST and Sportsman 1x12

What's Hot
Looking for opinions etc as a bedroom amp.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

No but I've played the AST and owned a Skylark.

AST, I would say you really need an attenuator - the night light from Swart is excellent (think that's the name).

I spent a day at Coda with a decibel meter testing one with Carr amps too.

The Swart sounded amazing once I had the attenuation and could crank the amp and control the volume externally.

I walked away with a Carr Skylark, cost more money - but much more flexible, a massive range of sounds and built in attenuation.

On the Skylark - I used it at home in a flat for 18 months, wonderful amp

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    The Swart is one of my favourite amps of all time (I’ve gigged and recorded the hell out of mine for about five years) but isn’t a bedroom amp unless you only want to play clean – it might only be 18-20 watts but it’s comfortably loud enough to gig with, especially with an efficient speaker. I’d look at the smaller five watt version for home use. It’s a magic amp though – unbelievably pretty sounding and the way it just hangs onto notes never gets old. 

Its definitely worth looking at the new Lazy J J10LC too – it works brilliantly at sensible volumes and does everything from harmonically rich cleans to fuzzy 5E3 meltdown. 
  • chrisv said:
    The Swart is one of my favourite amps of all time (I’ve gigged and recorded the hell out of mine for about five years) but isn’t a bedroom amp unless you only want to play clean – it might only be 18-20 watts but it’s comfortably loud enough to gig with, especially with an efficient speaker. I’d look at the smaller five watt version for home use. It’s a magic amp though – unbelievably pretty sounding and the way it just hangs onto notes never gets old. 

Its definitely worth looking at the new Lazy J J10LC too – it works brilliantly at sensible volumes and does everything from harmonically rich cleans to fuzzy 5E3 meltdown. 
    Thanks very much. I will check out both suggestions.
  • Swart AST Master can be used as a clean or crunchy amp at home in the bedroom if you don't mind flicking the controls to setup for either mode. Not really a (hard) rock amp, but blues and early classic rock do-able.

Great amp, but I found mine a touch mid-heavy (maybe by design) at low settings, and so perhaps not distortion pedal friendly if you want more gain at home.

Wound-up at a gig and using your guitar to ride the volume (in either setting) makes for great tone.

Not cheap if buying new, though.