Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Why would anyone buy a 'famous player endorsed model' guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• I've owned a Jackson SDX Adrian Smith and had to google who he was (can't stand Maiden), an EVH Wolfgang standard because they're fantastic guitars for the money and an Ibanez Jem Jr despite not liking Vai at all (I ended up not liking the guitar as I decided after getting these 3 and moving them all on that its cheap Floyd Rose specials I don't like)

All great guitars bought purely on looks an features - I do like Van Halen but if I was going to buy a signature guitar for artist association it would be a Slash Les Paul because I love Les Pauls and I love Slash. I may get a Slash one day but that would be a purchase purely for the artist association as I have a Les Paul that is fantastic already.

I am however in the market for a PRS Tremonti. I do love Tremonti but that's again not the motivation for the purchase... I love Les Pauls and want a Les Paul with a trem but I don't like Floyds and I like the fit and finish of a PRS... what else would I get?

Whatever your motivation for purchase, artist guitars offer something slightly different that off-the-peg guitars (for the most part, some are just bog standard guitars with an artists name on them!) so whether you like the artist or not, if the guitar is something you think you can inspire you then go ahead! 

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 2 of my electric guitars are signature models both my guitarists I have never heard a full track by either but I bought for the specs.  

The Trohmann Tele Squier for the 1 11/16" wide nut, Bjorn Gellotte Epi LPC had a thick profile neck/ebony fingerboard.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    has there ever been a Chuck Berry sig 345?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I don't think so. Strange- Chuck would have taken the money, no doubt. Maybe there wasn't enough money.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    Troy Van Leeuwen jazzmaster. Epic looks, US spec hardware and all the ‘usual’ jazzmaster niggles (toilet Stock bridge) sorted. Bangs for bucks about the best value offset available, especially if you can find a used one.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • I have a Jorma Kaukkonen signature Epi Riviera. I had no clue who Jorma Kaukkonen was when I bought it. I got it because the spec was what I was after, it looked cool as fuck, and (most importantly) the price was right.  :)
  • Well in my case I bought an Ibanez GB20 Archtop so that I had no excuse for not being able to play and sound like George Benson. I now know for sure that I can't play and don't sound like George Benson. Result!

http://www.lefunk.co.uk/
    Dave C
     Acoustic/Electric Guitarist
     LeFunk! Wedding and Function Band
     www.lefunk.co.uk
     www.facebook.com/lefunkuk
     www.twitter.com/lefunk_band
     www.soundcloud.com/lefunk-3

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I had the Musicman Majesty for about 2 months,  beautifully made and some interesting ideas but the neck was as flexible as an MP’s conscience, so off that went 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As others say, some sig guitars have very specific features. I have Paul Gilbert Fireman; it's an awesome guitar, and there is no non sig model like it.  How about Malmsteen or Blackmore strats? Are there any non sig strats with scallops on the market? 

Granted, most standard'ish sig models don't seem to have too many special specs, but even then, if it's as simple as the fact that a guitar inspires you to play or just makes you happy "because your guitar hero uses a similar guitar", why the heck not?    It's also a way to directly support the said guitar hero, so it's a win/win, isn't it?  Just be happy with the guitar you have :)
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I actually walked away from a Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo I really liked because I didn't like the association. Nothing to do with her but, for some reason, I had it in my head that I specifically didn't want an endorsed guitar. The next day I realised how stupid I was being and went back to confirm how good it was and buy. You know how it ends.
  • If the guitar in question had features not available elsewhere, a unique colour or just looked cool I'd consider it. I happen to like the TVL Jazzmaster and his Yamaha SA, though I'm not a fan of QOTSA. I quite like the Tweedy SG too because it's a nice colour, not because I like Wilco (which I do).
    Generally speaking though, most of my favourite musicians just aren't famous enough for anyone to consider making a signature guitar for them. If Fender made a Robin Guthrie sig '59 Jazzmaster, then I'd know whether the fanboy pull was strong enough.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited February 2018
    In late 2004/ early 2005 I went shopping for a Telecaster. After trying loads I settle on a used AVRI 52 reissue. My plan at that time was to either change the bridge, or fit compensated saddles. Then I had planned to fit a single coil sized humbucker to the bridge. 

Then it it dawned on me that the Fender Kotzen Telecaster that I'd seen a mini review of in October 2004 Guitarist mag, was more suited to my spec. So I didn't buy the AVRI, then fired off an emailed l to Ishibashi. 

My love of telecasters comes from players like Andy Summers & Alex Lifeson (who uses one as a recording guitar). It didn't come from Richie Kotzen. But he's a good player nonetheless. A few months later Fender did the FSR 67 Tele Custom which was basically a 60's Tele Custom with 22 medium jumbo Frets, a modern radius and SCN pickups. Had I found one of them first, I'd have bought that instead. It was really down to the closest guitar to the spec in my head. Every guitar I purchase is based on that. Very few are exactly what I'm after. Take my Les Paul, It sounded great acoustically, but the bridge pickup was too scratchy. A set of Lollars later & voila!
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    For the features that you otherwise can't get.

I A/B'd a Shiflette tele vs an American standard tele deluxe and I preferred the Shiflett model because of the rosewood board, flatter neck radius, wider frets and 'regular' humbuckers. That all added up to a better feel, for me. So I bought one, second hand for about 1/3rd of the price of the American equivalent.

• JotaJota Frets: 463
    I have the Epiphone Firebird I Bonamassa not because I care about JB but it was cheaper and than a Gibson and the specs were more to my liking.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    Isn't everything a JB signature model now?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I cannot agree with Rocker that the Gibson Les Paul does not qualify.
    It is the signature guitar.

What we should be arguing about is if a guitar with 2 names on it (Gibson Les Paul Joe Perry) is ridiculous or or is it ludicrous.
    The Gibson Les Paul is the world's greatest electric guitar (it is joint first with the Fender Stratocaster).
     Even the first 2 years of production were awesome if you have the patience to  adapt your picking hand, or , if (like Les Paul) you are up for some modest or drastic modding.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    There was once a Gassage signature model, but I believe the only existing model is now on its 29th owner.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited February 2018
    The only one I'd think I'd buy would be a Clapton Strat .. but then it's cheap to fit the boost circuit which is the only reason I'd buy one. I have a Yamaha Mike Stern which I bought years ago having tried one - I'd have to say I bought it (from a forumite on Music Radar) because I liked the guitar rather than it being a signature guitar.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    The only one I'd think I'd buy would be a Clapton Strat .. but then it's cheap to fit the boost circuit which is the only reason I'd buy one. I have a Yamaha Mike Stern which I bought years ago having tried one - I'd have to say I bought it (from a forumite on Music Radar) because I liked the guitar rather than it being a signature guitar.
    Tim, also, the Cornell version of the midboost is better anyway!

I do agree it's one of Fender's best though.

I actually just realised my Gretsch is a sig- Elliott Easton, but I bought it cos it's a lovely colour (Cadillac Green).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom