Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lee Anderton interview

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
Interesting interview with Lee Anderton .. how his store went from selling $2 million online to about $40 million online

https://www.namm.org/nammu/industry/breakfast-champions-2018-namm-show-lee-anderton

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Fair play to him, I think he comes across really well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Lee talks very well and comes over as a decent person. Good for him.

It's interesting that fundamentally the product he sells is identical to his competitors, so people are choosing to buy from him for some feel-good factor.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    pmbomb said:
    Lee talks very well and comes over as a decent person. Good for him.

It's interesting that fundamentally the product he sells is identical to his competitors, so people are choosing to buy from him for some feel-good factor.

And loyalty points! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited February 2018
    Yes but the business has been in the family for 3 generations and always profitable. They never really had much competition locally either. Kingfisher Music in Fleet came close but wound down at retirement age of the owners.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    edited February 2018
    57Deluxe said:
    Yes but the business has been in the family for 3 generations and always profitable. They never really had much competition locally either. Kingfisher Music in Fleet came close but wound down at retirement age of the owners.
    The business could have been round for 1000 years, it doesn't mean it's going to be successful in the 2010's. He's grown the business significantly at a time when a lot of shops are closing down, and I think it's fair to say that that success has been down to making some good decisions.

One of the key points on the video is that he is doing well online after taking a gamble with Chappers, so I'm not sure what Kingfisher music in Fleet have to do with 40 million quids worth of online sales?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Andertons are my go-to store - spent a small fortune with them. Can't complain - good prices, fast delivery and great customer service. I like most of their vids as well, especially the sound like ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Funny how much personality does come into it, I alway tend to gravitate towards Andertons whenever I (rarely) buy anything new without even thinking about it. I'm not a huge fan of Rob Chapman, but Lee comes across as very honest and genuine and Bea and Danish Pete are also incredibly talented.

For me personally it only takes one bad experience with a shop to put me off, I had a bad experience with a rude salesman at a PMT once and will never buy from them. They sell the same stuff as Andertons for the same price, I'd much rather my money went to someone I like. When all the shops are selling the same things you need to give people a reason to choose you, good on Lee for being a genuine chap and playing the youtube card well, doesn't take a lot but it sets them above the rest in my book.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I prefer GAK simply because the owner is a friend and I've never had any problems with them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes Lee has taken on the family business but he is incredibly intelligent and has his finger firmly on whats happening. There are very few people I know that can shift everything to go the direction the market is going so quickly. His marketing skills are  exceptional. I remember 16 or 17 years ago, being in the store doing Line 6 demos and him suggesting stuff then that no one was doing, soon after a few were and then everyone. Haven't read the interview yet but Lee really is a top bloke. My father in law knows his dad really well and has nothing but respect for him. Clearly runs in the family. Lot of time for Lee.  

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    His dad still owns Andertons according to Companies House.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Strat54 said:
    There are quite a few companies that Lee has his fingers in, and we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Lee's for sure in charge though.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Interesting also how Anderton's have stayed with the one store approach - albeit store + on-line - Whereas the approach of many other retailers in the trade, with a large turnover, have gone down the multiple store route - PMT, GuitarGuitar, Dawson's and in the past Academy of Sound + Sound Control

Obviously Thomann have stayed as one store and let the on-line business become the monstrous turnover that it is today - last I knew they were around 600 million euro's revenue

Not easy to be the stand up front man of the business aka Steve Jobs but Lee is doing very well and very respected within the trade for what he is achieving - So much so that he will have many within the industry now wanting to come to him to promote their product/brand, as against having to chase them - A very powerful tool he has created and well done
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    edited February 2018
    Having worked there and known him for a number of years, I can say that Lee is most certainly a savvy chap.

The one piece of advice he gave me that really stuck, is that surrounding yourself with people who are good for business - no matter how difficult they may be - is paramount to success.

That alone is a skill that takes the patience of a saint... in some cases at least. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    Excellent video. 
    Thanks for pointing it out!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2329
    hobbio said:
    Strat54 said:
    There are quite a few companies that Lee has his fingers in, and we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Lee's for sure in charge though.
    Yep I know.....

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/Z3e9DsjfXFvkybbx-xWLPAfsWSM/appointments
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Strat54 said:
    hobbio said:
    Strat54 said:
    Yep I know.....

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/Z3e9DsjfXFvkybbx-xWLPAfsWSM/appointments
    Sure I saw a video where he mentioned setting up a daisy rock distribution company once as he thought they were going to be huge. 
    Probably the dissolved one :)
  • Fretwired said:
    Andertons are my go-to store - spent a small fortune with them. Can't complain - good prices, fast delivery and great customer service. I like most of their vids as well, especially the sound like ...
    I also enjoy the vids, they've certainly put the place on the map, but I don't agree about prices. Maybe at the serious end, not an area I'm in, but for online pedal surfing they're routinely more expensive in my experience.  

Doesn't seem to matter about brand or price range, any time I look something up Andertons are always extra. And if I push the button I also seem to end up going with GAK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Y'know someone made that app or whatever a while ago that removed all mentions of the Kardashians from your web browser; can we get one made that removes all the Andertons lot?

Feels like I can't go anywhere in the guitar realm without them and their associates being a topic of conversation.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Jack_ said:
    Y'know someone made that app or whatever a while ago that removed all mentions of the Kardashians from your web browser; can we get one made that removes all the Andertons lot?

Feels like I can't go anywhere in the guitar realm without them and their associates being a topic of conversation.
    And yet you clicked on the thread and took the time to comment...

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom