James Bay new single - Wild Love

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
I'm hearing hints of Prince in this. I like it.

He doesn't seem comfortable with his new haircut though, keeps pissing about with it in the video...nice LP Jr.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That was shit. The production does nothing for his voice at all. He has a good voice but it was the raw, rootsy sound that made James Bay good on his first album. 

Siiiiiiggghhhh someone in the record company probably said there wasn't enough gloss on the Chaos & The Calm for them to put out another similar sounding record so he has to cut his hair and get his voice auto-tuned. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Using a right-angled plug and not running the lead through the strap - fail.

:)

I'm not sure about the song. It's OK, but the production doesn't really suit him as Octahedron said. I don't think the guitar suits him either, he's better with the Century - you can get a much rawer, more interesting distorted tone out of one than that too.

And cutting his hair and losing the hat hasn't made him look less like Harry Styles...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Blimey, what  a shame

real crossover artist over the past few years.

now he’s just a pop star with a pop song

perfectly fine, but totally forgettable song, whereas many off his last album were very good

hopefully this is just the first single to get the teenagers buying the album, and the other 9 songs are actually good
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Quite liked that , very prince like keyboards and liked the way the guitar solo jumped out of the track 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Is it just me that thought the guitar solo was shite?

Cool song, but the solo sounded very out of key
  • Potentially-Promising-if-he-developed-a-bit guitar based singer turns generic pop... Yay
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Was reading an interview on the BBC with him yesterday and the new direction is all his - not evil men in suits telling him what to do. He wants to ‘move on’ and try new things. Good. I like artists that do that rather than repeat themselves incessantly. With that approach he’s probably in it for the long haul. He’s got the talent and mindset.
    liking that song btw. 
  • AlexC said:
    Was reading an interview on the BBC with him yesterday and the new direction is all his - not evil men in suits telling him what to do. He wants to ‘move on’ and try new things. Good. I like artists that do that rather than repeat themselves incessantly. With that approach he’s probably in it for the long haul. He’s got the talent and mindset.
    liking that song btw. 
    But when the styles are so different then to me if this current style is genuine then his last album was not which is a shame. And that auto tune effect on his vocal is awful
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    AlexC said:
    liking that song btw. 
    But when the styles are so different then to me if this current style is genuine then his last album was not which is a shame. And that auto tune effect on his vocal is awful
    That’s like saying Bowie didn’t ‘mean’ the guitar-based glam rock stuff because he did Kraut Rock inspired electronic music afterwards.
    Anyway - rather than me waffling on, here’s the article -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42987153
  • AlexC said:
    AlexC said:
    liking that song btw. 
    That’s like saying Bowie didn’t ‘mean’ the guitar-based glam rock stuff because he did Kraut Rock inspired electronic music afterwards.
    Anyway - rather than me waffling on, here’s the article -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42987153
    I know what you mean but Bowie did it well...
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited February 2018
    If you're going to abandon the things that initially made you appealing to music fans then you'd better do it extremely well. This is just bad. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Liked what he did before, but now he just fits in that ‘pop’ melting pot & may well get lost/swamped in it.

I have a hatred for auto-tune so nothing will convince me otherwise.  Tbh I didn’t actually recognise him from the video initially.
  • That's just a very dull pop song. Shame.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    I lasted to 1:39.

Shite.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  •  Iamnobody said:

Shite.
    You wife's a lucky lady...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Disappointingly hugely dull.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
     Iamnobody said:

Shite.
    Yep. Your Mrs hasn’t complained so far either.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:
     Iamnobody said:

Shite.
    Yep. Your Mrs hasn’t complained so far either.
    I did wonder who had been eating all the leftover stew...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    joeyowen said:
    Is it just me that thought the guitar solo was shite?

Cool song, but the solo sounded very out of key
    Nope. Not just you. It wasn't good was it?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I was really put off by James Bay at first after hearing 'hold back the river'.. however, there are other songs on that first album that i really warmed to. Bit out of character for me, but i don't mind admitting it..  :#

What really surprised me was when i watched the Youtube vid of him and Dan Steinhardt. Dan had built James' touring board for him. His choices of amps, guitars and pedals were bang on.. he's got very good taste in gear. 

What also surprised me is that he's actually a decent guitar player. His songs you hear on the radio don't really showcase this much. 

He seems to have a good head on his shoulders too, and knows how the business works.. which i suppose is why he is successful. 
    In an interview i read, when asked about his influences.. James specified a couple that you can really relate to, but then went on to say that; for as much digging he's done into the likes of blues.. he's also done the same amount of research into pop.. as he wants to be on the radio 'now'. i take my hat off to him for that. 

Yet to give that tune a whirl, but i will do in due course (just in work currently so its difficult). Cheers for the recommendation. =)  
    ''i've not seen a reaction like that in here since George Best got kicked out for glassing a bouncer''