Old Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube amp

What's Hot
baldybaldy Frets: 195
100 watts, I think. bit rough looking (scratches, broken carry handle) purple stripe ?
It"s very cheap, just wondering if anybody thinks it"s worth a punt as I know that the silver stripe ones are fairly well rated but this one is an older model I think ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Have a quick look at this link to the Peavey Bandit timeline  https://peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14177
    Personally as a repairer I have great affinity for early Peavey amps both valve and solid state, if you can pick up an early one for the right price, you have got an underrated gem, far better than any modern SS equivalent IMHO. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    That’s later than the silver stripe version but still US-made, slightly better quality than the current version.

If it works and it’s cheap, you can sort out the handle easily enough. Given that one in nice condition only seems to sell for about £100 it would need to be a lot less than that though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That is a USA transtube red stripe, a slightly later model. Some people prefer them to the earlier Silver Stripe, although they are very similar. (See the intheblues youtube channel - Shane often gigs with a red stripe bandit)

Questions to ask are does it have the original speaker (Sheffield for USA) and does the spring reverb work? They would be the things that could be expensive to fix/replace.

Otherwise it will probably need a squirt of pot cleaner as some of the controls will probably crackle a bit. Handle should be cheap/easy to fix.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    isn't that one of the non USA ones, i thought the USA ones had designed and made in the USA on the front? Could be wrong though, its been a while since i've seen one.

The silver ones are my favourites along with the old Bandit 65's.
  • timmysoft said:
    isn't that one of the non USA ones, i thought the USA ones had designed and made in the USA on the front? Could be wrong though, its been a while since i've seen one.

The silver ones are my favourites along with the old Bandit 65's.
    I didn't spot that - hard to say. The Chinese ones have the blue marvel speaker.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    I have a super old solo65 which cost me £40 which im actually out jammin with right now, great amps. I just use it as a pedal platform and it really does sound good, bulletproof too. I would say def pick it up.
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
    This is the speaker.
    Am I right in thinking that the amp is 100 watts ?
    There is an external speaker out on the back that says 100 watts 8 ohms ?

On the back it does say made in China.
    It is only £25 but is located about an hours drive away from me.
    I was just thinking that my stepson might use it as a stop gap whilst he is deciding what he is going to do amp wise as his gigging amp has problems & he needs something to use meantime.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

"Hai know nothing Mr Fawltey" but for 25quid and an a few hours time got to be a steal? Looks like a decent backup amp.  Get the seller to run it up and make a noise.

Dave.

That is what I am thinking ecc83.
    The seller has said this " I’ve plugged it in and it switches on and the speaker seems to be making a noise but I’ve got no way of testing" so unless I go to see it there is no way of knowing if it works OK or not.
    I am just trying to help my stepson out as it would only cost me the £25 plus about £15 in fuel so only about £40.
    I could get it & if my stepson doesn"t want it sell it on & get what it owes me back I would imagine ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    baldy said:
    On the back it does say made in China.
    Interesting, I thought the Chinese ones were slightly different. They must have changed them later.

baldy said:

The seller has said this " I’ve plugged it in and it switches on and the speaker seems to be making a noise but I’ve got no way of testing" so unless I go to see it there is no way of knowing if it works OK or not.
    I am just trying to help my stepson out as it would only cost me the £25 plus about £15 in fuel so only about £40.
    I could get it & if my stepson doesn"t want it sell it on & get what it owes me back I would imagine ?
    If it powers up and makes some noise through the speaker it’s very unlikely to be faulty otherwise.

The worst case scenario is that there’s something wrong in the preamp, but for £40 I would take the chance, since that’s very rare.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Decent back up amp, and vitually bullet proof.
    I wouldn't, personally, have one as my only amp though.
  • baldy said:
    That is what I am thinking ecc83.
    That works out pretty cheap - if you cleaned it up and sold it on you'd at least double that if everything is working.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    I'd have that for a run out in the car and the price of a round of drinks.

I've no fond memories of the Bandit at all, I played a few and disliked each one.  Then again I've learned how to use EQ in the intervening 20-odd years too so it'd be an interesting experiment.  :)

I'm being genuine here, they get fair praise so I'm very curious to see what I'm missing.
    I have arranged to go & see it Monday morning if it has not sold as am off that day.
    If it works it will be coming home with me.
    I don"t know what it is about me & cheap Peavey amps but I am using an old Peavey Vypyr 15 as a practice amp & that owes me a tenner  =)