whats everyone think of the Marshall Astoria ??!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
now that the amps are starting to come down in price ive noticed some great clips of them on YouTube .

i’m looking for a 30ish watt amp, so thought they might be worth doing a little research on .

im getting rid of my jcm800 as it’s just too big and I’m not touching the sides of it volume wise .

id be looking for a reliable and more compact and practical amp that covers garage punk  rock , 70s rock, nwobhm and crossover punk hardcore type stuff .basically classic rock through to nwobhm and hot rodded jcm800 type sounds with some kind of boost for solos .

Might it fit the bill ?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    id be looking for a reliable and more compact and practical amp that covers garage punk  rock , 70s rock, nwobhm and crossover punk hardcore type stuff .basically classic rock through to nwobhm and hot rodded jcm800 type sounds with some kind of boost for solos .

Might it fit the bill ?!

I think you just described the mini Jubilee.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Plectrum said:

Might it fit the bill ?!

That’s definitely on the “to try” list .
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    now that the amps are starting to come down in price ive noticed some great clips of them on YouTube .

i’m looking for a 30ish watt amp, so thought they might be worth doing a little research on .

im getting rid of my jcm800 as it’s just too big and I’m not touching the sides of it volume wise .

Might it fit the bill ?!

If your looking at the Astoria from your description the Custom would be the one for you (the red one).
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited February 2018
    I don't know if an Astoria would do the JCM800/nwobhm stuff without a boost to tighten it a bit but it'll get you most of the way there I think.

Might also be worth waiting for Origin to come out as it sounds great. I've just spent a morning testing out some DI recording with impulse responses and the Origin more than held its own alongside a 2245, 1959SLP and 2203. It probably had the most in common with a jumpered 2245 but with more gain available with the gain boost. Again would probably want to boost with an SD1 for nwobhm style stuff.

Or as Plectrum says the 2525 is a great shout. Probably the most versatile of the lot thanks to the active eq and different clipping options.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    @riffpowers ; another Marshall to add to your list would be the new DSL40 especially if you think that dual master volumes would be useful to you.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Thanks guys !! I'm interested in the origin but it's too soon to know , I've not heard or seen one and I don't know if 20 watts is enough for gigging . Also it's too soon to tell how reliable they are !!
    Anyone know when they're hitting the shops ?? 

ive also been offered a bluesbreaker in trade for my jcm800. 

• TTBZ said:
    I don't know if an Astoria would do the JCM800/nwobhm stuff without a boost to tighten it a bit but it'll get you most of the way there I think.

Might also be worth waiting for Origin to come out as it sounds great. I've just spent a morning testing out some DI recording with impulse responses and the Origin more than held its own alongside a 2245, 1959SLP and 2203. It probably had the most in common with a jumpered 2245 but with more gain available with the gain boost. Again would probably want to boost with an SD1 for nwobhm style stuff.

Or as Plectrum says the 2525 is a great shout. Probably the most versatile of the lot thanks to the active eq and different clipping options.
    I'm interested in what you think about the origin! 

• ive also been offered a bluesbreaker in trade for my jcm800. 

Bluesbreaker is nice, but no substitute for a JCM800. Maybe with a Guv'nor pedal - a properly set up Guv'nor can sound like a JCM800 on full chat ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Its a great amp, classic Marshall tones. I'd probably go for the 50 head if you're gigging, the power reduction is really good on these.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197

Might it fit the bill ?!

My Danplifier Dragon 30 does all of that made by our very own @4114Effects ;
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/111909/

You could see if he’s prepared to do another one. 
    I know it got some use during the Huddersfield Jam and people seemed impressed with it. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

ive also been offered a bluesbreaker in trade for my jcm800. 

Bluesbreaker is nice, but no substitute for a JCM800. Maybe with a Guv'nor pedal - a properly set up Guv'nor can sound like a JCM800 on full chat ...
    The bluesbreaker is very different, it's a JTM45 circuit, with a bit of gain it can get very flubby and farty, lovely amps for classic rock, but for more modern stuff they aren't the best IMO
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    John_A said:

The bluesbreaker is very different, it's a JTM45 circuit, with a bit of gain it can get very flubby and farty, lovely amps for classic rock, but for more modern stuff they aren't the best IMO
    Spot on - I used a JTM45 for a little while and used to crank it flat out for great crunchy tones but you do need to back the bass off right down to zero or its massively flabby.  I think you can change the coupling caps in the PI cct to the values used in the latter Plexi amps but they are still nowhere near as tight in the bottom end.
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    TTBZ said:

I don't know if you are planning on coming to The Guitar Show next weekend, but I know the Origin will be there, because I get to have a play on it on build up day, its going to sit in my office. Its sounded great a NAMM, but that was a pro demo, lets see if I can get it anywhere close to sounding as good.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • Good point, never thought of that , there's a show near me next month .
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Good point, never thought of that , there's a show near me next month .
    It won't be there, as far as I know, Marshall only do mine - sorry, I think its shipping end of March for retailers
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Collings said:
    John_A said:

Spot on - I used a JTM45 for a little while and used to crank it flat out for great crunchy tones but you do need to back the bass off right down to zero or its massively flabby.  I think you can change the coupling caps in the PI cct to the values used in the latter Plexi amps but they are still nowhere near as tight in the bottom end.
    Trouble is if you mod it to get rid of the flub (I did) it stops sounding like a JTM45, for clean and mid-gain they are wonderful, but not a JCM800 replacement.  One of these would fit the bill

http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2202/
  • andy1839 said:

Might it fit the bill ?!

My Danplifier Dragon 30 does all of that made by our very own @4114Effects ;
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/111909/

You could see if he’s prepared to do another one. 
    I know it got some use during the Huddersfield Jam and people seemed impressed with it. 
    Ooh yes, that was a lovely amp. A bit confusing what with all the unlabelled switches but I found a sweet spot with the guitar turned down a bit it gave a lovely clean sound and dirtied up nicely on full blast. Sounded great. You can hear the effect on the version of Champagne Supernova we did - guitar straight in and it goes from clean to big rock just on the volume control. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    I believe @fastonebaz has a new DSL40 and might be able to chime in.
    edited February 2018
    Plectrum said:

Might it fit the bill ?!

That’s definitely on the “to try” list .
    Fwiw here's a quick clip I recorded direct using my 2525C - getting to grips with using IRs now and it's sounding more like it does in the room. This is with greenbacks which give it that 80s kinda feel, with a H30/V30 cab it's a bit less "brown". I've just put a creamback in and it sounds like the greenback but a more solid low end and smoother highs. I always find greenbacks a bit raspy sounding for what I'm after

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fem93ifo9w934i/2525.mp3?dl=0
  • The new dsl40r is a very flexible amp.  Only had it a couple of weeks so far but its so easy to dial in a nice tone.  Bright jangley cleans on my coil taps.   Easy to get Hot blues.  Led zep. Acdc. Through to tight Metallica.  power soak.   Di out.  Switchable fx loop.  Dual master volumes.   They've thought of everything.   Recommended.   The reverb is too subtle though imo.