Line 6 Relay G30 signal problem...any ideas?

LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited February 2018 in FX
I'm getting a really weird fault with my wireless kit. It's essentially sounding like a loose connection on that you play a note but the signal is intermittent and sounds slightly distorted. I've tried new batteries, replaced both cables and all six channels. Occasionally it's fine on one channel for a few minutes. 

The signal lights always come on green and the play light chimes on when you strum.

Are these things repairable? If so, home job or recommend me someone? 

Thanks

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Just to rule out the obvious problem that springs to mind. Has this just started or is it ongoing and is it just at home or out on gigs/ various places? It could be a WIFI issue. Have you changed anything there or know of any changes to the surrounding wifi? 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6772
    I'm getting a really weird fault with my wireless kit. It's essentially sounding like a loose connection on that you play a note but the signal is intermittent and sounds slightly distorted. I've tried new batteries, replaced both cables and all six channels. Occasionally it's fine on one channel for a few minutes. 

The signal lights always come on green and the play light chimes on when you strum.

Are these things repairable? If so, home job or recommend me someone? 

Thanks

Its the built in "Autocorrect" feature trying to improve your playing... Its trying to quantise the output - just select the "free form jazz" setting and its will let the original signal go through unaffected.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Just to rule out the obvious problem that springs to mind. Has this just started or is it ongoing and is it just at home or out on gigs/ various places? It could be a WIFI issue. Have you changed anything there or know of any changes to the surrounding wifi? 
    It's not affected by location and it appears to be ongoing. Can't get it to work properly anywhere now.

• Another stupid question, tried a different guitar? Got rid of anything else in the chain and gone straight into amp? All those bullshit things that trouble shooting people have to ask. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    G30s had an issue with the battery door - basically it didn't shut very well and we then discovered that not all AA batteries are *exactly* the same size (before any wise alecs want to question this... I spent three weeks on this back in the day, as I didn't believe it either, but its true).

What can happen is that the contacts get forced/bent because a slightly too big battery has been fitted and this means that the contact isn't quite so good.

A test is to play a sustained chord and either wiggle the door or move the belt pack around in your hands, to that gravity affects the battery. If thats the case, try bending the contacts inside the case (a small loop of string/cable can assist).

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• @rossyamaha ; yeah I've tried 3 different guitars, 4 amps and into the Pod. Doesn't seem to make a difference. 

@impmann ; I've tried bending out the battery contacts as they seemed very flat. If it was this though I wouldn't expect the lights to stay on. 

@rossyamaha ; yeah I've tried 3 different guitars, 4 amps and into the Pod. Doesn't seem to make a difference. 

@impmann ; I've tried bending out the battery contacts as they seemed very flat. If it was this though I wouldn't expect the lights to stay on. 
    The lights stay on because the make/break is quick enough to keep enough charge in the caps  to keep the LEDs lit but the signal drops out/distortion creeps in.

It may not be that - but it's worth a check. :-)

edited February 2018
    If you want someone to take a look, I can recommend an ex Line6 service guy based in Northants (not me - he used to work in my team). Although bear in mind the cost of replacing it vs the cost of fixing... harsh but true.

• I've tried bending the contacts out again, and holding the battery door firmly shut. I strum a chord and I get a clean signal for about half a second then it fuzzes and dies. Again, tried on all 6 channels with various cables at both ends. 

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Methinks it is broke. :wink: 
     Bin it n replace it...you can pick up just the transmitters on eBay for less than the price of them both. I keep looking for a 2nd transmitter and have bid on a few but so far always been gazumped. Mines served me well through lots of gigs over the last 4yrs...still as good as new. Apart from putting a cable tie over the battery door to ensure it stays closed I've never had an issue. I do 2 gigs then recharge my 2 AA 's...and always carry a spare set. I'm a huge fan of the G30 and wouldn't be without it or one like it now.
  • Yeah, I'm not sure whether to buy another transmitter. What if it's the receiver? :/

well send me your transmitter and I will test it on mine...and post it back to you. You can pay the postage both ways though...in the name of science n all that! :lol:

• RolandRoland Frets: 8688
    Have you investigated a faulty cable or loose plugs? Those mini XLRs are a pain
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Have you investigated a faulty cable or loose plugs? Those mini XLRs are a pain

There is no mini XLRs on the G30.....its standard jack to jack!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    By coincidence my g30 failed at last nights gig.   Quick tests during sound check and I think it’s the jack socket that is kaput.    I’ll do some more test today but looks like I need yet another wireless.  
  • The one thing it occurred to me I haven't tried, is changing the power supply for the receiver. Sadly I don't appear to have another 9v available atm so I'll have to beg, steal or borrow one. 

• Mine has the battery door problem, I'm off to wiggle my contacts!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    The one thing it occurred to me I haven't tried, is changing the power supply for the receiver. Sadly I don't appear to have another 9v available atm so I'll have to beg, steal or borrow one. 
    I’d have thought the wfi signal lights wouldn’t all light up if it was underpowered but it’s worth checking you are supplying enough current. 

I’m a bit miffed that I have to buy yet another wireless to replace mine. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited February 2018
    Mine has the battery door problem, I'm off to wiggle my contacts!
    @misterpete