Guitar Guitar - Trade it/Sell it

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
edited February 2018 in Guitar

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

You will get peanuts.  I talked to them about trading in a guitar once.  I could have easily got a lot more by selling privately or through a shop that does commission sales.

They will offer you an amount that still enables them to sell it at a healthy profit.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    edited February 2018
    ... of course they will. They are a dealer. 

What they also have is cash waiting. No need to advertise or arrange meetups in etc.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    crunchman said:

You will get peanuts.  I talked to them about trading in a guitar once.  I could have easily got a lot more by selling privately or through a shop that does commission sales.

They will offer you an amount that still enables them to sell it at a healthy profit.

I agree, but for some people it will take the hassle away - I imagine trade-in will be what most people would want. At least you can use the form to get an idea of the trade in value before visiting the store.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hate it when businesses try to make money
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    22reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    They made that video ages ago though.

Sometimes it's worth doing if your time is more valuable than your money...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i have sent a request through will be intriqued to see how much they offer
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    crunchman said:

They really do offer stupidly low money, even once when I was trying to buy 2 brand new Gibsons.  Please get a trade-in price from them and advertise your trade-in guitar on here at that price. Folks will snatch the bargain off you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited February 2018
    Considering there are places that aren't absolutely derisory as far as trade-ins go, I'd shop around too to see who can give you the best deal. I almost guarantee it won't be GG.

World Guitars and Coda are particularly notable in their comparative charity when it comes to trade credit amount (although with WG it has to be something they want and in excellent shape)... have had good experiences personally with Sound Affects Premier as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    I often wonder where they get the used stock given how poor trade in values are. 
    sw67 said:
    I often wonder where they get the used stock given how poor trade in values are. 
    Folks who buy on credit and tell their partners they "offered me what I paid so buying the new guitar is a bargain!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Richtone are usually reasonable on trade in. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve both traded in a number of times with GuitarGuitar, and done a commission sale though them. My local GG knows me, and I’ve always been treated decently by them.

I find with trade ins, I not only get a cash value for the trade in, but they also give me discount off whatever I’m buying. I recently traded one fairly modest, but pristine, guitar with them, and the combined trade in value plus discount on the purchase actually equalled the original price of the guitar, which I’d bought 18 months earlier.

I accept that I’m not going to get the money that I might get from a private sale, but, if there’s something I want to buy, then trading in is a useful,simple, hassle free option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    In my experience you can get a good deal haggling so long as the guitar you're trading in is 'right' for the shop. I traded a Gibson Les Paul Studio against what is now my main US Strat years ago in Coda. They really wanted to do a deal (Coda is a Gibson dealer) as they knew the Les Paul would sell easily, which it did the following day.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • humbuckohumbucko Frets: 179
    GuitarGuitar offered me £650 to £700 for my 2017 Fender AVRI 52 Telecaster (with one ding), bought new for £1500 or so a few months before.

Really can't see why anyone would take that up but people clearly do as they have plenty of used stuff for sale.
    Fretwired said:
    In my experience you can get a good deal haggling so long as the guitar you're trading in is 'right' for the shop. I traded a Gibson Les Paul Studio against what is now my main US Strat years ago in Coda. They really wanted to do a deal (Coda is a Gibson dealer) as they knew the Les Paul would sell easily, which it did the following day.
    Coda is a much better place to shop than GG, and offered me double what GG offered.
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I traded a second hand guitar with GG recently and they offered me only £100 less than what I was trying to sell it for on here so I took the deal.  I agree though it has to be something the shop wants otherwise you are going to get low-balled if they even want to take it.  

Coincidentally, I offered the same guitar to Richtone and they didn't even bother replying to my email so nobodies perfect.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I called up for a trade/sale quotation recently and literally laughed down the phone at them -  I didn't mean to but the offer was so paltry I couldn't help myself.

Sell privately!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Best money is normally on a commission sale in a shop.  I just got £2000 on an R8.  I probably would have had to settle for £1800 selling privately.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I've used them a couple of times but found I generally got nowhere near what I wanted for guitars but good values for amps I've traded in with them.

Sound Affects are great for trade ins I have found. - They will give you a value from decent pics and on the two occasions I've used them I've been offered more than I was likely to get on a private sale.  Depends what your trading it in on though as always. I imagine you get the best trade in on a new guitar as opposed to one of their used ones. No silly haggling involved either. Highly recommended and Tim or Andy are the guys to deal with.

The best bit however - they will organise a courier to collect your guitar from you and then send out what your buying as soon as they receive yours all included.

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    It sounds like SOR that car garages do. I'm tempted to do this with my LP.